Juvederm in the Nasolabial Folds Affecting my Smile, What Can I do?

I just had Juvederm injected to my nasolabial fold area and I've noticed that when I smile, my upper lip seems to be pushed downward so that it doesn't lift as much nor does it spread out over my teeth nice and flat, rather it looks like I have that fake lip smile, even though the Juvederm was injected to the nasolabial folds. I'm just wondering if the stiffness from the swelling has affected the muscles temporarily or if there's just too much Juvederm injected that it's pushing my lip down?

Juvederm is not my first choice for treating the nasolabial folds

+1

The problem you are describing is most likely due to the use of a superficial "wrinkle filler" like Juvederm instead of a "volume filler". Radiesse has been proven to be much more effective than hyaluronic acid fillers like Juvederm for treatment of the nasolabial folds. Several years ago a study was done where Radiesse was injected into one nasolabial fold and, in the same patient, fillers containing hyaluronic acid such as Juvederm were injected onto the other nasolabial fold. The majority of patients and observers picked the Radiesse side as more natural looking. This is because of the difference between "stimulatory" fillers and "wrinkle" fillers.  Radiesse is injected more deeply beneath the skin and will generate more volume to create a much better lifting effect with a much more natural look. It lasts much longer as well.

South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon