Should I get juvederm in my marionette lines now or in a year once I've lost 50 lbs? (photo)

My face will lose volume as I lose my 50 lbs. I have marionette lines around my mouth. I'm 43. If I get the filler now, which is expensive, will it still do it's job once I've lost the 50 lbs by next May (2015) or will my body have used it up?

+1
Receiving Juvederm injections now will be effective and will help you achieve your desired look, but if you lose weight there is a possibility that you will need more filler once you have lost it. 

Filler and weight loss

+1
Filler is a great option for patients with age related volume loss and some volume loss from weight reduction. It may benefit you by doing the injections over time as you lose the weight;it may build and look more natural, as opposed to receiving all of the filler at one time. Cheeks can become more gaunt and benefit from products like Voluma and Radiesse, while marionette and nasolabial folds do well with Juvederm and Restylane. if you have a large amount of volume of loss and excess skin, a face lift would be a good option, after you've gotten to your target weight. Good luck with your weight loss journey, and in finding a surgeon who can help you with your aesthetic needs secondary to the weight loss.

William Lambeth, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

When to get Juvederm filler for marionette lines

+1
I believe that you'd benefit now with Juvederm ultra plus or Perlane or Radiesse for your marionette lines. That said, if you lose more weight, you may require some more filler since the face often shows the effects of weight loss early on. 

Benjamin Barankin, MD
Toronto Dermatologic Surgeon

Should I get Juvederm in my marionette lines now or in a year once I've lost 50 lbs?

+1
Juvederm Ultra Plus works well in the marionette area. The filler typically lasts 6-12 months in this area (all patients are different in terms of the longevity of hyaluronic acid fillers). It is likely that after losing 50 pounds you might require more filler than you do now but there shouldn't be a problem with having Juvederm treatments now despite your plan to continue to lose weight. I hope this information is helpful for you.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Juvederm

+1
Juvederm works well in the marionette lines and should last 6-7 months.  If you plan to loose another
50 lbs, it is hard to say how your face will react.  It is possibly, that you might need a lower face lift.  Facial
fillers such as Radiesse, Juvederm, Expressions, and Perlane can only do so much.

Charles A. Wallace, MD

Marionette lines

+1
You have prominent marionette lines, so it would be worth filling them now.  This is usually done with perlane, or juvederm ultra plus.  Radiesse is sometimes used as well. Because of the amount of muscle movement in this area, the fillers frequently only last about 6-9 months at which time you can put in some more filler.

John J. Martin, Jr., MD
Coral Gables Oculoplastic Surgeon

Fillers before or after weight loss

+1
You can have the fillers now. In a year you will probably need more anyway and may need additional filler in other areas. You should try to feel good every day, so I think you should do it now if it's a problem area you want to address anyway.

"This answer has been solicited without seeing this patient and cannot be held as true medical advice, but only opinion. Seek in-person treatment with a trained medical professional for appropriate care."

F. Victor Rueckl, MD

Should I get juvederm in my marionette lines now or in a year once I've lost 50 lbs?

+1
There are several different types of fillers that may be used in the marionette lines which will make you look and feel better.  I say, feel good now.  You will most likely need more filler in several months to a year, anyway.  Good for you in your quest to lose 50 pounds!  

Marionette lines

+1
Dear Ckom,

• I have switched to Radiesse in this area to fill in the marionette lines
  • It is injected in a special way to add support to the lower face and lift the marionette line
  • As far as waiting or doing it now...that mostly depends on your budget...It will likely need a touch up by May 2015 even if you get it done now
  • I do not think it will look weird if you continue to lose weight after injections

Nima Shemirani

Nima Shemirani, MD