Juvederm in Malar Area 8 Months Ago-still Swelling and Blue Lines

its been Eight months now after juvederm-treatment in malar area and still swelling and have blue lines. I am desperate! Is it possible that the blue line is a permanent scar? I dont want hyaluronidase-treatment, please tell me that juvederm will finally go away and I get back to normal. Thanks!

Blue Lines with Juvederm

+2

The lines are likely superficial placement of the material. Unfortunately the only good treatment for superficial placement is hyaluronidase. Sometimes a needle can also be used to make a small puncture hole in the line and then manually squeeze the material out.

Regards

Bedminster Facial Plastic Surgeon

Blue Lines with Juvederm

+2

The blue lines are very likely visible product and are in no way permanent scarring.  I am unclear as to why you dont want the hyaluronidase treatments.  The product will go away eventually, but it can last more than a year, particularly under the eyes when it is placed superficially.  Massaging the area may help, but I am a big proponent of the hyaluronidase treatment for problems like yours.  You will look better in 48 hours. 

Jacqueline Calkin, MD
Sacramento Dermatologic Surgeon

Juvederm in the malar area

+1

Your Juvederm has been injected too superficially causing the blue color.  Juvederm also retains fluid which is causing the swelling.  The effect may last up to 2 years or longer in this area.  Your injector may be able to pierce the skin and extrude the filler but it would probably be very difficult after 8 months.  Hyaluronidase is the only other solution.  Consult an experienced injector for advice.

Martie Gidon, MD, FRCPC
Toronto Dermatologist

Radiesse or Sculptra are best for the malar cheeks

+1

I feel that Juvederm, for the reasons you are mentioning, is not appropriate for the malar area. It is important to understand the difference between "stimulatory" fillers such as Radiesse and Sculptra and "wrinkle" fillers such as Juvederm and Restylane. When treating problems due to volume loss such as cheek hollows, I will almost always use stimulatory fillers such as Radiesse and/or Sculptra. They are injected deeper, beneath the skin, and will generate more volume to create a much better lifting effect for sagging skin as well as a more natural appearance. They work by stimulating your skin to produce more collagen, which is why they are much more effective at treating problems due to volume loss.

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

Juvederm Under Eyes, Blue Lines

+1

The bluish lines are the Juvederm which has been injected too superficially. I don't recommend patients receive Juvederm in the eye area/malar cheeks, because this is a common problem with Juvederm in that area. You don't have "swelling" from the treatment, but rather the product was injected too shallow and it caused a ridge. Which is another common problem with Juvederm in that area. Juvederm can be dissolved with hyaluronidase, but if you don't want to do that, you'll just have to wait it out. It should be about 8 months to a year for it to go away entirely.

F. Victor Rueckl, MD