Juvederm in Eye Trough Causing Sinus Issues and Blood Clot?

I had Juvederm injected into my tear trough over a week ago. Right when the procedure was being performed I experienced sinus pressure. I figured this would happen to some degree given where I was having the Juvederm injected. The feeling of sinus pressure has not dissipated. Then this morning I felt a lump in my sinus area close to my nose. It was sore and had a lot of pressure around it. I pressed and it "burst" and blood poured out of my nose then stopped. This can't be normal, right?

Very unusual

+2

This is quite unusual. Have you ever had any sinus surgery or facial fracture before? The Juvederm injection should be performed on the soft tissue surface of the face, on top of the bone of the cheek/face. The needle used to inject the Juvederm would not be able to penetrate the bone unless there was already a bone defect there.

This is something that you should discuss with your surgeon. If your injector is not a surgeon, it would be best to have an examination by an Ear/Nose/Throat specialist [Otolaryngologist].  A sinus endoscopy may give you the answer.

Do not manipulate your cheek anymore and see your doctor.

Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon

Can Juvederm in Tear Trough cause sinus issue or blood clot?

+1

What you described sounds very unusual.  It is possible that a blood vessel was occuluded and backed up creating pressure or that you bled into your tissue and formed a hematoma which created pressure but having it communicate with the sinuses is more unusual. I would recommend you see an ENT Doctor to be evaluated 

Sam Naficy, MD

Blood clot after Juvederm is unusual

+1

The needles used for juvederm injections do not penetrate into the sinuses.  what you felt might have been injections near the nerves and blood vessels under the eyes that travel down next to the nose.  this explains the persistent pain and lump which developed a small hematoma (blood clot)  It is very unusual that the blood drained from the nose.  I would go back to your doctor for an examination. You can alternate warm/cold compresses if you have swelling and discomfort.

Daniel Yamini, MD