Removing Juvederm Ultra Plus After 2 Years

Hi, In 12/2008 I had Juvederm. The Doctor over did me & put it in odd places around my mouth&cheeks. He did not know how to correct it. It has been 2 years and it is still here. I still have earthworm lines, lumps &bumps (huge mass of product inside my cheek&half bott. lip) No doctor seems to believe that is has lasted this long. The product is Juvederm Ultra Plus. I am seeking advice and a doctor near me to help. I am so sorry I ever did this. Please help in Columbus, OH Thanks

Bumps after Juvederm

+1

Nodules and lumps 2 years after a filler may be a rare response called a granuloma.  See a reputable dermatologist or plastic surgeon in your area.  He/she may opt to discuss hyaluronidase injections to break down any remaining Juvederm, or kenalog injections (a steroid) to break down inflammation.  You should also obtain copies of your medical record for the injection documenting exactly what filler was used with a lot number and expiration date to show the physician with whom you consult.

Madeline Krauss, M.D.

Boston Dermatologic Surgeon

Lumps, Bumps, and Lines after Cosmetic Inection

+1

Hi Dana in Columbus,

Lumps and bumps after dermal fillers injections can happen with any cosmetic injection material (fat, hyaluronic acid, collagen, etc). Most lumps are temporary and due to swelling. Small bumps or lumps after cosmetic injection or augmentation typically resolve in a few days, but possibly a couple weeks. The lip bumps may be the product material, bruising / swelling, scar tissue, or combination.

Your plastic surgeon or dermatologist may massage to help smooth the area. Alternatively, hyaluronidase may be injected into the bump to help dissolve the material, which works especially well with hyaluronic acid fillers such as Restylane or Juvederm. Lumps from the material itself generally resolve as your body naturally dissolves the product. Scar tissue, especially with repeated injections, may occur too. Speak to a plastic surgeon or dermatologist regarding any concerns you may have for a comprehensive evaluation and help determine appropriate options for you. Best of luck.

Houtan Chaboki, MD
Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon