Juvederm Fillers for Lips

I have been receiving juvederm lip fillers for over 8 years now only 1cc per year to add volume to my lips. Just recently I have noticed that the distance between my nose and my upper lip has gotten longer and looks really funny. I also noticed that it is almost as though my upper lip has muscle as it can protrude past my nose now and is really noticable especially when I talk. I was never able to do this prior to the injectables. What is goin on and what can I do as I feel like a freak!

Correcting strange appearances after unbalancede Juvederm and other fillers

+2

What you are refering to is probably the result of common practice in the fillers industry: placing filler in a roll in the pink part of the lip without addressing the area between the nose and lip creates a bazarre appearance.  The subunit of the lip begins at the base of the nose and goes to the chin.  As we age the entire upper lip thins and if this thinning is not addresssed when volume is added to the lip, is can appear strange, elongated and even rippled depending on the injection technique.  Going to a Plastic and Reconstructive surgeon that understands these nuances is your best bet in getting a beautiful balance restored to your lips.

Rian A. Maercks M.D.

Treating lips with hyaluroinc acid fillers

+1

I love treating the lips with hyaluronic acid fillers, like Juvederm.  We use these fillers in the lips, and the surrounding area, for lip augmentation and rejuvenation.  An increased distance between the nostrils and the lip line occurs as we age.  Additionally, the philtral columns (the linear ridges that run from below the nose to cupid's bow) flatten over time.  Generally, a very natural and satifying result can be achieved by revolumizing the area above the lip line, as well as by slightly re-building the philtral columns.  This is done in addition to augmenting the pink lip itself.   I recommend for you to share one of your favorite photos of yourself with your injector.  Using this photo can be very helpful in both pointing out what you feel has changed over time and assessing treatment success.  Best of luck.

Lesley Clark-Loeser, MD
Hollywood Dermatologic Surgeon

Juvederm lips

+1

The distance from the base of the nose to the upper lip gradually increases with aging, so I think what you are describing is normal, although a photo might be helpful.   Some people have a more prominant philtrum, two raised lines from the base of the nostril to the upper lip.  Placing some filler is this area gives the area  more definition and dimension, this is sometimes referred to as the Paris lip.

I would go talk with the doctor who did the injection.  If you are not happy, one of the nice things about Juvederm is that it can easily be dissolved in the office with hyaluronidase.  I hope this helps.  Lana Long, M.D.

Lana Long, MD
Cincinnati Dermatologic Surgeon