Can Juvederm filler remove laugh lines? What are the chances of getting shingles and/or cold sores from this?

I'm considering fillers for my laugh lines and was suggested by my PS that Juvederm would be used being that my lines very light, what concerns my is getting cold sores or even shingles.

Juvederm for removing laugh lines

+1
Juvederm is a terrific filler for treating/removing laugh (nasolabial) lines. The chances of shingles is essentially zero, and the risk of a cold sore would depend on whether the area in and around the lips is being treated.  Any injury or poking around an area known to have cold sores can reactivate it, and so oral prophylaxis with an antiviral medicine is advised in this case.

Toronto Dermatologic Surgeon

Juvederm and Frown Lines

+1
Juvederm is a filler made of hyaluronic acid and is indicated to temporarily fill fine lines and wrinkles. Juvederm now comes in three formulations, with the most recent Voluma product being used to fill deep areas like the cheek. It is excellent for frown lines, and in my experience one can get resolution lasting anywhere from 6 months to a year with a proper injection technique.

In terms of complications, there is a rare risk of getting cold sores around any skin exposure to stress like fillers or lasers. Some people are more susceptible than others. Antivirals can be given before and after a treatment to significantly reduce the risk of the cold sores.

Farhan Taghizadeh, MD
Albuquerque Facial Plastic Surgeon

Juvederm for laugh lines

+1
Juvederm is a great choice for correction of laugh lines.  The majority of patients that have this procedure done are pleased with the result.  As far as complications go, shingles or cold sores are uncommon but possible anytime the skin is injured or your body is stressed.  If you have a history of either you can treat yourself preemptive lay with antiviral medications to reduce the risk.

Sean R. Weiss, MD
New Orleans Facial Plastic Surgeon

Juvederm and cold sores

+1
Juvederm is a wonderful treatment for laugh lines. It works very well in shallow areas like this. I have not seen Juvederm trigger shingles, but if people are prone to cold sores I have them take Valacylovir prior to treatment and for a few days after. Any time there is trauma to this region such as injectables, dental visits, etc. you should take meds to avoid an outbreak.

"This answer has been solicited without seeing this patient and cannot be held as true medical advice, but only opinion. Seek in-person treatment with a trained medical professional for appropriate care."

F. Victor Rueckl, MD

Juvederm and laugh lines

+1
Laugh lines can be treated nicely by filllers. If you are prone to get cold sores, you might want to go on an anti-viral prior to your procedure. Best to ask you doctor.

Juvederm filler and laugh lines

+1
Yes, Juvederm and other fillers can help soften your laugh lines. Shingles would be very unlikely but there is a small chance of triggering a cold sore outbreak with injectables, particularly if you get cold sores every now and then. Speak with your board certified injecting doctor and discuss this concern to address the risks and what to look out for if it does happen.

Omar Ibrahimi, MD
Stamford Dermatologic Surgeon

Can Juvederm filler remove laugh lines?

+1
Usually, yes. It's impossible to give advice specific for you without being able to evaluate your areas of concern. With regard to cold sore outbreak, I typically don't pre-treat people before fillers unless they have a significant history of frequent outbreaks. In people who have the occasional cold sore, an outbreak following nasolabial fold/ laugh line filler treatments is uncommon. If you do have frequent outbreaks, discuss with your physician injector to see if you might benefit from Valtrex. I hope this information is helpful for you.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon