Juvederm Was Not Effective with a Nasolabial Fold on the Right Side of my Face?

Last fall I tried Juvederm to remove or at least reduce a nasolabial fold line that appeared on the right side of my face after losing 15 pounds. The juvederm was ineffective even after the swelling subsided. Its pretty atypical seeing how its only visible with direct light shining over my face. When I smirk it protudes foward and feels hard. When my face is at rest it looks like a small bump at right corner of my upper lip. Will juverderm do the trick or do I need another procedure?

Juvederm and swelling

+1

It is very difficult to answer this question without seeing you in person or at least viewing pictures pre and post-Juvederm injection(s). Follow up with your provider for further assessment - there are plenty of options, and maybe there are other areas that need treatment and volume replacement after significant weight loss.

Best treatments for nasolabial folds

+1

Most likely it is not the Juvederm that is the problem. Because filler injections are an art as much as a science, it is especially important to remember that the experience and artistic ability of your injecting physician is the most critical part to your achieving a beautiful, natural result. I much prefer Radiesse for the treatment of nasolabial folds. Radiesse has been proven to be much more effective than hyaluronic acid fillers like Juvederm for treatment of the nasolabial folds. Several years ago a study was done where Radiesse was injected into one nasolabial fold and, in the same patient, fillers containing hyaluronic acid such as Juvederm were injected onto the other nasolabial fold. The majority of patients and observers picked the Radiesse side as more natural looking. Radiesse is injected more deeply beneath the skin and will generate more volume to create a much better lifting effect with a much more natural look.

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

Ineffective Juvederm

+1

I am unsure if the Juvederm was ineffective per say, or more likely, not injected properly. If it's only visible in light, my guess is it was injected much too deeply. I would think a visit to a well qualified physician injector (dermatologist, plastic surgeon, etc.) would be worth your while and I might suggest Restylane could be a better filler for your NLF line if it's very prominent.

F. Victor Rueckl, MD

Juvederm for nasolabial folds

+1

You should be assessed by an experienced injector. The Juvederm that you already have can be dissolved and you can start over again.  Losing volume in your cheeks could account for your nasolabial fold so the volume needs to be replaced in your cheeks first.   Please consult a dermatologist or plastic surgeon who is an experienced injector.

Martie Gidon, MD, FRCPC
Toronto Dermatologist