Is Juvederm Effective in Getting Rid of Dark Circles?

I recently observed juvederm being administered to treat sunken eyes. What product works best and what technique , quantity would you use for arcus marginalis and nasojugal fold? what technique is best?

Juvederm is great for treating some patients with...

+2

Juvederm is great for treating some patients with sunken-appearing eyes. It should not be placed inside of the bone of the orbit, the orbital rim. For some patients with nasojugal folds or tear trough deformities, filling in those depressions can give a very natural and youthful appearance.

The amount of injection needed will vary based on the areas to be injected, but generally one syringe will suffice for both lower eyelids.

The technique for injection in the orbital rim area relies on a deeper injection than the technique for the nasolabial folds area. A find should be kept on the orbital rim during injection to ensure that no product is injected into the orbit itself.

Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

Juvederm for sunken eyes and dark circles

+2

Juvederm injections can be a great option in improving the appearance of sunken eyes and dark circles. We use a combination of different level injections - deep, and superficial. The amount varies, based on the patient, but rarely do we have to use more than 0.5 cc. The product has to be placed precisely, so usually no massaging or pushing the product around is required after injection.

Juvederm is a great product for this application, and so is Restylane. I wouldn't use anything else in the delicate eye area.

Stella Desyatnikova, MD

Is Juvederm Effective in Getting Rid of Dark Circle

+1

Juvederm works well for filling in the hollowness in the infraorbital area.  However, it does not treat dark circles.  There are other methods to be used in this problem.

Thomas Guillot, MD
Baton Rouge Plastic Surgeon

Juvederm can help the tear trough (nasojugal groove). Dark circles need more.

+1

Juvederm can help fill in the tear troughs.  However, dark circles usually require more than just filler.  I tend to treat them with lower blepharoplasties, fat injection and a light laser resurfacing.  You can see some results (patients C.M. and T.A.) on my website.

Eric Swanson, MD
Kansas City Plastic Surgeon

Newport Beach answer to Juvederm and dark circle under eyes

+1
While Juvederm is fabulous in treating the appearance of sunken eyes it does not actually diminish the dark circles. With this said you may have marked improvement in the appearance of the darkened circles by injecting the tear trough deformities. Filling in this area is often helpful as the sunken look exasperates the dark circles. This helps with the shadows and darkness. I have many patients who are models and using Juvederm in this fashion is very helpful as the camera seems to pick up this problem more frequent then the human eye. It is important to know for other readers of this post that Juvederm and Restylane are the best products for this area. I have many patients from other physicians who have been treated with Radiesse in this area do not make this mistake.

Michael Elam, MD

Dark circles under the eyes? Juvederm injectable filler.

+1

Dark circles under the eyes can be due to a number of causes.  Typically, when associated with aging, there is hollow area, the tear trough, that develops a shadowing effect and appears like a dark line.  This hollowed area can be filled with Juvederm or Restylane injectable fillers.  This should be done by an experienced injector.  Too superficial of an injection will lead to a bluish hue under the skin. 

Dark circles may also be caused by thin skin with underlying blood vessels, blood staining of the skin, or allergies.  This cannot be helped with filler injections. 

Etai Funk, MD
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Juvederm and under eye dark circles

+1

Soft tissue filler under the eye is a great "nonsurgical" lower eyelift. 

Some of the darkness under the eye is due to hollowing and loss of volume.  There can also be a shadow effect.  These will improve with a filler.

Some of the darkness may be due to thinning of the skin, visibility of the underlying blood vessels, or staining in the skin.  None of these will improve with filler.

The nice thing about the hyaluronic acid fillers is they are temporary (and reversible if you hate it).  Have an evaluation by a plastic surgeon and see if you are a good candidate. 

Lauren Greenberg, MD
Palo Alto Plastic Surgeon

Treating Dark Circles Under the Eyes with Juvederm

+1

Some people either by genetics or age have a hollow circle that develops under the eyes.  Filling this area blends the cheek into the eyelid producing a full, youthful, energetic looking lower eyelid cheek area.  The goal is to make the lower eyelid look like a continuous extension of the cheek.  Filling can be done with temporary injections like Juvederm and Restylane, or permanently with an implant or (if you are lucky and it survives) fat grafts.  While Juvederm is acceptable in the lower eyelid, I prefer its cousin, Restylane.  Juvederm in this area tends to be more prone to puffiness.

Louis W. Apostolakis, MD
Austin Facial Plastic Surgeon

Dark circles maybe from congested veins

+1

Dark circles around the eyes can sometimes be caused by the loss of fat and volume in the eyelids, which allows dark veins to show through -- making the lower eyelid area look blue or black.

Restoring volume via a filler like Juvederm or Fat grafts is a good option.  Fat grafts can be permanent, whereas Juvederm can last approximately one year.  Each has advantages.  

For Juvederm -- takes 30 minutes, looks great, and is reversible with time if you don't like the results.  It is less expensive for one treatment, but over a decade it will cost the same as surgery.

For Fat graft -- it is your own tissue, fully compatible, may be permanent (approximately 40% does absorb away), but involves a 1 hr surgical procedure and a weekend for recovery.

Navin K. Singh, MD
Washington DC Plastic Surgeon

Improving dark circles with hyaluronic acid fillers

+1

Fillers like juvederm and restylane can be used to correct a prominent nasojugal groove or tear trough region around the eyes. Care must be taken with these injectables as they can sometimes appear lumpy and make the eyelid area have a prolonged puffy appearance. While I routinely use both fillers, I think the restylane does a little better in that area with less "blue" color effect under the skin there. I hoe this information helps.

Scott Trimas, MD
Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon