Juvederm Injection the Wrong Area

I was injected with Juvederm but they did not do the wrinkles that I wanted filled. I wanted the filler injected around my mouth but instead, they injected the lips. I specifically asked them not to fill the lips. The wrinkles around my mouth and chin are still there.

Can they fix the situation or are they going to charge me again? I have no photo. My lips are completely bruised on top and bottom. What is my recourse?

MOuth wrinkles and Juvederm

+1

It sounds like there may have been some miscommunication with your treating physician. Sometimes wrinkles around the mouth are best treated by injecting the lip line at the vermillion border.

Juvederm for mouth wrinkles

+1

Lines and wrinkles around the mouth area are challenging and, like Dr. Chen stated, combination treatments often are the best option.  The mouth muscle is quite strong and works in a purse string fashion - pulls in and downward.  Some practitioners will inject the vermillion border (where the white meets the pink of the liips) to smooth out small, vertical lines around the mouth.  Some lines extend too far from this border for this technique to be of any value.  We use other techniques with cosmetic dermal fillers to address this problem in addition to small amounts of Botox or Dysport. 

Regardless of the above, we believe the bigger issue here is that you were not kept involved in the treatment plan or were not proactive in voicing your goals and concerns at the time of the visit.  In our practice, all patients are photographed prior to the treatment.  You may want to ask to see these photos (if they were taken) or find a photo of yourself that you may use as a comparison.  Being that you are still bruised, it may be too soon to judge the final outcome.  In any event, I would encourage you to express all of these concerns with your practitioner without further delay.  A good practice would not want to lose you as a patient if there was a way to remedy the situation.

See the below link for treatment options for treating lines and wrinkles around the mouth.

Harold J. Kaplan, MD

Juvederm too thick for wrinkles around mouth

+1

Wrinkles around the mouth can be treated with any or a combination of fillers (e.g. Restylane fine lines or a collagen-based filler such as cosmoderm/cosmoplast), deep chemical peels and Botox. I would return to the individual who performed your injections and voice your concerns. Juvederm is generally too thick for injection of wrinkles around the mouth.

Good luck.

Bryan K. Chen, MD
San Diego Dermatologist