I had Juvederm five days ago in the glabellar area and I still have wrinkles. Is this normal? (photo)

I had Juvederm five days ago in the glabellar area and after the swelling went down, I still have wrinkles. Is this normal or do I need to give it more time? I thought the results were immediate.

Filler to Glabella are

+1

This is an area that most providers take a more conservative approach overall. However, the combination of injecting Botox and filler to this area will give you a best result.

Juvederm for Frown Lines

+1

Those types of wrinkles are actually caused from muscle movement. Although Juvederm is a great option, Botox may better address your area of concern.

Kimberly Butterwick, MD
San Diego Dermatologic Surgeon

Wrinkles Remain in the Glabellar Area After Juvederm Treatment

+1

Juvederm is best for restoring volume and softening the look of lines, but cannot completely take away lines etched into deep layers of the skin. Botox or other neuromodulators injected into the glabellar, can stop the muscle movements that are creating the creases. With continued use of neuromodulators, skin can rejuvenate itself. Using a combination of fillers and neuromodulators in the glabellar will provide the most effecient way to give you the desired long term results. Injecting fillers into the glabellar area must be done by a skilled, qualified person since there are vessels in that area that if occluded could cause damage to the eye, or cause necrosis of that area.

Richard Parfitt, MD
Madison Facial Plastic Surgeon

Juvederm

+1

Juvederm will not resolve your wrinkle issue alone. A neuromodulator like Botox will help. It's not always possible to remove all lines, however. Discuss this with your physician injector.

Asif Pirani, MD, FRCS(C)

Wrinkles after fillers

+1

Fillers can not eliminate facial lines, they add volume. Some lines get "etched in" due to excessive use. Botox./Dysport can help as well but may not eliminate them completely.

Juvederm vs. Botox/Dysport in the Frown Lines

+1

Hi Andirai. Did you have Botox or Dysport injected into the area prior to the Juvederm? If not, this is the problem.

Frown lines are caused by muscle action, the contraction of the muscles between and around the eyes. While Juvederm can sometimes help in this area with very large and deep creases, we would always use Dysport (Botox) first to relax the muscle and then follow on with a Hyaluronic acid based filler like Juvederm or Restylane if we did not achieve full correction with Dysport alone.

If you did not have Botox or Dysport yet, you need it before the Juvederm to see full effects. The pictures at the link below shows a patient that needed both Botox and Restylane.

Harold J. Kaplan, MD

Juvederm Results

+1

Typically, yes, results from Juvederm are mostly immediate. What is difficult with a photograph, however, is that it does not show us how much movement you have in the glabellar area. While Juvederm will "fill" the area, if your movement is pronounced and while you still have muscle movement, it may be the cause you still have the lines. Perhaps you should ask your PS about Botox to prevent muscle movement, as well but certainly follow up with him or her for further suggestions.

All the best.

Alexander Golger, MD