Juvederm Left Dark Circles Under Eyes Worse

Hello, I am a 20 year old male. I have had bad dark circles under my eyes ever since I was very young. After wasting tons of money on useless creams and make up. I decided to get juvederm injections to fill the area because the doctor told me it was due to deep set eyes and that the bluish black i was seeing was actually a muscle because of thin skin. However I was extremely bruised after the treatment and swollen, but I was assured this would dissapear. 3 months later and the dark circles not only look worse than they did before the juvederm, I now have slight bags under my eyes. How do I fix this nightmare?

Juvaderm Under Eyes

+4

Unfortunately, there is a small percentage of women who get increased pigmentation under their eyes after Juvaderm injections in the tear-trough area. The combination of a little bruising from the injection and filling in the area more can bring the pigmented areas even closer to the surface, giving the appearance that the areas are even darker.

Juvaderm works well to help fill out the tear-trough area if their is a depression there. If someone naturally has dark circles under their eyes unrealted to a hollowing appearance, Juvaderm will not help with the pigmentation. If you have an adverse reaction to the Juvaderm, you can always inject hyaluronidase into the area to dissolve the juvaderm itself.

Barrington Plastic Surgeon

Under eye area is an unforgiving area

+2

Injecting cosmetic dermal fillers in the tear trough area can lead to a very postiive outcome. However, no one should be led to believe that this treatment will resolve dark circles under the eyes. Although tear trough treatments may help, it is not an expectation that should be overrated. Placement of the product in this area is crucial and oftentimes, injectors place the product above the muscle which leads to a puffy, undesirable appearance. Profound bruising may have left you with what is referred to as "hemosiderin staining." Sometimes this will fade over time. Using Q-switched Yag lasers may help to hasten the fading.

Harold J. Kaplan, MD

Rule Out Allergy

+2

Hi AJC,

Dark circles under the eyelids are one of the most bothersome as well as difficult complaints to correct. Once you bruised under your lower lid, it is not surprising that the circles got darker from hemoglobin breakdown. The slight bags should dissapear in time as the Juviderm wears off.

At 20 years old, enjoy your youth, most likely your dark circles are hereditary or due to allergies. You can't change your genes, but make sure that you are not suffering from "allergic" shiners. Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD

Under Eye Injections

+1
Injections under the eye for the hollows are a very delicate procedure.  Juvederm is too thick in that area and often leave patients lumpy or with a bluish hue from the Tyndall effect.  I would advise you to return to have the injections dissolved with Hyaluronidase.  In the future you should consult a board certified dermatologist who uses Belotero to inject the under eye area and who has a great deal of experience with this area.

Michele S. Green, MD

Hyaluronidase To Reverse Effects of Juvederm

+1
Dermal Fillers that are made of hyaluronic acid can be dissolved with a substance called hyaluronidase. If you are unhappy with the filler under your eyes, hyaluronidase can be injected to break down the product and restore your natural appearance.

Jerome Edelstein, MD

Dark circles no better after Juvederm

+1

Some people genetically have dark circles under their eyes. This is most likely due to thin skin and the visibility of the muscle underneath.

Fillers such as Juvederm may or may not help improve this, but may leave tell tale signs of the product (bluish hue, lumps).

The swelling you are seeing is probably from the natural process of the product breaking down by absorbing water. Check it out with your doctor.

Removing Dark Circles Under Your Eyes: When Juvederm is Effective

+1

Dark circles may appear dark because the area is either depressed and concaved OR because the pigmentation under the eye is dark.

Juvederm should be use only for depressions, not pigmentation. Juvederm is a hyaluronic acid product which is similar to a humectants, or sponge. When a hyaluronic acid is placed under the eye it starts absorbing water, just like a sponge, and makes the area more puffy (thereby, less depressed).

Usha Rajagopal, MD