Does Juvederm Contain Preservatives?

I am a cancer survivor. I would like to know if Juvederm has any preservatives in it. Thank you.

Does Juvederm contain any preservatives?

+2

There are no preservatives listed on the Juvederm package insert, but the best advice is to call Allergan and ask Medical affairs directly at 1-877-345-5372

Preservatives in Juvederm

+2

Juvederm is a hyaluronic acid filler (biocompatible) which simply replaces the hyaluronic acid we all lose as we get older. It is incredibly safe and widely used, and does not contain any preservatives nor have any of the fillers ever been associated with cancer. 

Benjamin Barankin, MD
Toronto Dermatologic Surgeon

Hyaluronics

+2

It appears all the hyaluronics only contain product, water, phosphates to adjust pH and can come either with or without lidocaine.

Steven Swengel, MD
Los Gatos Dermatologic Surgeon

Juvederm and Preservatives

+1

Thank you for your question. Juvederm is an injectable gel made out of hyaluronic acid with 0.3% lidocaine.  Juvederm should be used cautiously with patients on immunosuppressive therapy to reduce risk of infection.  I would recommend getting a medical clearance from your oncologist and/or primary MD and consulting a Board Certified Dermatologist or Plastic Surgeon for safest treatment option. I hope this helps.

Sonia Badreshia-Bansal, MD
Bay Area Dermatologist

Juvederm and Cancer Risk

+1

Neither Juvederm nor any of its contents have been linked to cancer, and this should not pose any risk.

Does Juvederm contain preservatives

+1

Juvederm is a cross-linked hyaluronic acid in a phosphate buffer with .3% lidocaine (XC versions), or no lidocaine (non-XC versions). Either way it doesn't contain preservatives. This is the phone number to contact Allergan directly and they can provide you with the scientific statements and press releases about its product being preservative-free. 1-877-345-5372

F. Victor Rueckl, MD