Can Juvederm Cause Permanent Damage? How to Remove from an Area That Was Not Supposed to Be Applied?

I just got juvederm, and I can't look at myself in the mirror. I understand that it's still swollen, but I’m concerned that he injected it where was not supposed to. I no longer have a jaw line, and my face is completely round. I read some reviews here, and there is an indication of possible permanent damage due to the stimulation of collagen production. Is that true? I’m completely regretful. I went to remove a few expression marks around my mouth, and now I have a face that I can't recognize.

Can Juvederm cause permanent damage?

+3

Since you just had the Juvederm treatment, I would wait at least a week or two before judging your results.  As you mentioned, there is still some swelling so your appearance will still change.  I'm sure with time, it will improve.  If it does not improve, the area can be injected with a medicine to dissolve and remove some of the Juvederm.  There should not be any permanent damage caused by the Juvederm.  It is a temporary filler and dissolves slowly over time.   

San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

Can Juvederm cause permanent damage?

+2

Juvederm will not cause permanent damage. It is a temporary filler, and lasts 6-7 months on average. What area were you trying to improve, and how long ago did you have the injections? Swelling will be present right after the injections, and you should give it a little time before coming to any conclusions about the result. If necessary, the enzyme hyaluronidase can be used to dissolve the filler, and you will look the same as you did before the injections. I would recommend visiting the physician who performed your injections, as he/she will be able to examine you and answer any questions you have. Thank you, and best of luck.

Paul S. Nassif, MD

Can Juvederm cause permanent damage?

+2

It sounds like you are very swollen.  It is unlikely that you could have received enough Juvederm to change your whole face. Juvederm is not permanent nor does it cause permanent damage.  It is temporary as well as reversable with Hyaluronidase but I would recommend waiting another week for all the swelling to go down before deciding your final results.

Sam Naficy, MD

Permanent Damage from Juvederm

+1

In general the results from Juvederm injection are temporary.  The degree of swelling and amount injected may produce a swollen face.  Give it a couple of weeks.

Permanent Damage

+1

Hyaluronidase can be administered to reverse the Juvederm. This treatment is performed in the office setting after topical anesthetic and ice packs are applied.

William P. Mack, MD, PA
Tampa Oculoplastic Surgeon

Can Juvederm cause permanent damage

+1

I agree with Dr. Echavez. Upon first receiving filler, some patients think they look strange and may not like it. But a great deal of that initial feeling has to do with swelling, and water retention to the Juvederm itself. Both of these issues will resolve over the coming week or so, and then you'll have a better idea of what things look like. Let things settle down and then evaluate. Luckily, Juvederm is easily removed with hyaluronidase, but your injector won't know where to even inject the hyaluronidase until the swelling settles down. Nothing is permanent.

F. Victor Rueckl, MD