Can You Have Juvederm Where You Have Broken Capillaries?

I have dark, hollow circles under my eyes and wanted Juvederm to fill in area. My esthetician said that she would not use the filler under my eyes until I have gotten rid of the dark circles (broken capillaries?) becuase it could be unsafe. Is this necessary? and is IPL photofacial the best treatment?

You need a more experienced evaluation

+1

Photos or an in-person evaluation is essential.

In general, there are three reasons why the skin around the eyes can be [or seem] darker:

1. The thin eyelid skin allows the darker muscle underneath to show

2. The hollowness around the eyes can create a shadow effect that exacerbates darkness

3. Skin pigmentation [sometimes from blood products from bruising]  If it is blood    product pigmentation, it could last months to improve.

Depending on which of the above is the issue, different modalities may be helpful [time, fillers, laser resurfacing, concealer etc]. Fillers definitely have a role in eyelid rejuvenation.

If you decide to explore this further, I would recommend a second consultation with an experienced  injector.

One good option is an ASOPRS trained Oculoplastics surgeon. You can find one close to you on the ASOPRS dot org website.

Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon

Juvederm injections and broken capillaries

+1

Juvederm injections are often made deeper to the superficial layers of the skin that would show the capillary vessels.    I doubt that it would have an impact on the vessels.

Juvederm where you have broken capillaries

+1

The dark circles under your eyes are not caused by broken capillaries. If you have red superficial broken capillaries then this is different. What you are describing is the sunken dark areas which has to do with volume loss and shifting of fat around the eyes for the most part.  Fillers placed deep in this area will help significantly. I perform this treatment every week and have great results with the right product placed in the correct location. I am not sure how your esthetician plans to treat your eyes but topical creams are minimal at best for improving the dark circles around the eyes. Possibly products with vitamin K may help some, if that is what they are suggesting but dont look for much improvement with topicals alone . Please also be sure your fillers are done by an experienced doctor with extensive knowledge of the eye area like a dermatologic surgeon or oculoplastic surgeon. Complications in this area can lead to blindness.

Shawn Allen, MD
Boulder Dermatologist

Juvederm and Broken Capillaries

+1

First, please tell me that you aren't having an esthetician inject Juvederm into you! That is just NOT a good idea and you need to seek the advice of a board-certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon. I do not like IPL under the eyes either, as the skin there is very thin and doing IPL merely sends the veins into spasm, it doesn't make them go away. I recommend sclerotherapy injections from a reputable physician for these broken capillaries and Restylane (NOT Juvederm) under the eyes as well.

F. Victor Rueckl, MD

Dark Circles Under Eyes

+1

Hello.  Dark circles under the eyes are often a result of the thinning of the skin.  As we age, the skin thins and the blood vessels become more visible.  Although we agree with the assessment that very small capillaries may be the cause of this issue, we do not feel that IPL is the solution.

We disagree with the recommendation of your esthetician and would start either with surgery or a dermal filler such as Restylane.  We do not believe that IPL would have any effect on the appearance of the dark circles. 

We are located in Orange County (city of Orange), offer free consultations and you can view results of the injection procedures below at the link.

Harold J. Kaplan, MD