Can you get Juvederm or Botox if you have had an infection in the last 6 months that was diagnosed as MRSA?

The MRSA infection was not on the face.

It would be a good idea to avoid fillers, but Botox should be fine

+2
While Botox is fine to do after MRSA, I would be a little concerned about fillers as they have a longer life and can attract and retain bacteria.  Whatever the case, run it by your surgeon and see what they say.  Good luck!

Omaha Dermatologist

Fillers or Botox in the Setting of MRSA

+2
I would certainly let your Physician know about the circumstance and make sure that he/she is comfortable with treating you.  If your infection has been successfully treated, I would recommend that you rinse with Hibiclens soap the night before and the day of your procedure.  The types of antibiotics you would need for MRSA are not the kind you would necessarily take prophylactically.  These days, because of the prevalence of community acquired MRSA, I clean all filler treatment areas with Hibiclens

Stephen Prendiville, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

MRSA and injections

+2
it would be wise for you to be on antibiotic prophylaxis just prior to the injection and and 2 days after.  If you were cleared of your MRSA infection then this can be done relatively safely.  Simply make your Dr. aware of the situation.

Chase Lay, MD
Double board-certified facial plastic surgeon

Chase Lay, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Yes

+2
You can get fillers and Botox despite your recent infection. Unfortunately, MRSA is fairly common now a days.

Robert Frank, MD
Munster Plastic Surgeon

Botox and Fillers in someone who has a history of MRSA

+1
I agree that Botox or other botulinum toxin injections is not a problem in this setting.  Prior to filler injections use of Bactroban ointment in the nose and/or a course of antibiotics by mouth may be appropriate.  I typically treat each case individually and seek the opinion of an infectious disease specialist for guidance as to the safest approach to use in this scenario.

Brian Biesman, MD
Nashville Oculoplastic Surgeon

Botox okay

+1
Botox is ok but I would consider using antibiotics that are appropriate.   Be sure and inform you PHYSICIAN injector.  Seek advice from a dermatologist or a plastic surgeon.   You will be fine with Botox.  Fillers worry me and you should avoid fillers for at least 2 years in my opinion.  If you are then MSRA free and healthy you can have fillers but again with the cover of appropriate antibiotics.   My Best,  Dr C

George Commons, MD
Palo Alto Plastic Surgeon