Can Juvederm Be Placed in an Area That Has Had Sculptra in It?

I had sculptra placed in my "smile" lines earlier in the year (10 Mo. ago). The fix is subtle, and I did not like waiting so long just to see little result. Plus, it was quite pricey. The lines are not corrected, and I would like a more quick and complete result. I am considering juvederm. Are these two compatible? Thank you for your response.

Juvederm Ultra injected in a area previously injected with Sculptra

+3

Hello and thank you for the question.

It is reasonable to have Juvederm Ultra injected in an area previously injected with Sculptra. These two products are generally injected into different tissue planes. In general, Juvederm Ultra is a better choice for management of smile lines than is Sculptra, which is more commonly reserved for volumization procedures, such as the temporal region and hand volume restoration. 

Kindest Regards,

Glenn Vallecillos, M.D., F.A.C.S.

Juvederm Can Be Placed In An Area That Has Sculptra In It

+2

There is no problem with placing Juvederm in an area that has Sculptra in it. I would wait at least six weeks so that the full benefit of the Sculptra injection is achieved prior to placing the Juvederm. I believe you will be very happy with Juvederm that is properly injected because the results from Juvederm treatment are apparent immediately, whereas the results from Sculptra take a prolonged period of time to become visible.
Take Care.
George Anterasian, MD

George Anterasian, MD
Santa Monica Facial Plastic Surgeon

Sculptra and Juvederm

+1

Yes, you can have Juvederm after Sculptra.  You should wait at least 6 to 8 weeks after Sculptra to see its effect before having Juvederm.

Martie Gidon, MD, FRCPC
Toronto Dermatologist

Getting Juvederm after Sculptra

+1

It is fine to have Juvederm after you have had Sculptra.  It has been a long time since you had Sculptra, and at this point you see the effects that the Sculptra has had.  If you want another filler treatment, you may have one.  It is always a good idea after you have any filler treatment to wait until you see the effects before you have any more treatments in the same location.  Otherwise you may end up overfilled and unhappy.  As for whether Sculptra and Juvederm are OK to have together, yes they are, whether you have them on the same day or months or years apart.

Jordana S. Gilman, MD
Atlanta Dermatologic Surgeon

Juvederm can be placed in an area that has Sculptra

+1

Juvederm can be placed in an area that has Sculptra in it. Sculptra is simply a collagen stimulator so all you’re really doing is putting filler in an area that’s having your collagen stimulated. Sculptra itself is not creating the volume. But, Sculptra takes time to show results. You want to wait until the swelling and so forth has gone away before choosing another treatment. If you’re doing it as a refinement to the Sculptra as just a tiny touch up, you may want to wait a few months until the Scuptra has really worked.

Joseph A. Eviatar, MD, FACS
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

Overlaying one filler with another is usually fine.

+1

Overlaying one filler with another is usually fine. They can even be used this by during the same visit. Sculptra is injected deeper than Juvederm and if completely compatiible with it.

William P. Coleman III, MD
Metairie Dermatologic Surgeon

Juvederm may be used in area that has Sculptra

+1

Juvederm, unlike Sculptra, is a volume filler, and will give you more of the volume support you are seeking. Sculptra is a "biostimulant" that helps thicken the tissues over time. Juvederm may be "added" to an area that has had Sculptra  without adverse effect.

debrairizarry.com

Debra Irizarry, MD
Crestone Plastic Surgeon

Juvederm and Sculptra can be used in the same site

+1

Sculptra is typically injected in a deeper plane than Juvederm, so they can complement one another quite nicely. I have done this frequently, with fantastic results. There is no problem with mixing these fillers.

Ryan Greene, MD, PhD
Fort Lauderdale Facial Plastic Surgeon

Juvederm used in an area previously treated with Sculptra

+1

It is safe to use Juvederm more superficial to the plane that Sculptra was inserted, but if a nodule or lump forms in the future, there might be disagreement on which agent caused the lump. The layered technique or a followup session in which a different filler is used in the same area is not uncommonly done.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Juvederm with Sculptra

+1

There is no problem placing Juvederm in an area where Sculptra has been placed.  In general, Sculptra is placed deeper than Juvederm in the skin so they serve to augment each other.  

Dr. Cat Begovic M.D.

Catherine Huang-Begovic, MD