Should I wait for juvederm to dissolve before having rhinoplasty?

I am thinking to get an open rhinoplasty to give me height in my nose bridge and nose tip. I have previously used juvederm to give me a higher bridge, the last one was around 3 months ago. Can I get rhinoplasty in June or do I have to wait until the juvederm has dissolved completely? As for the botox, my doctor recommended me to use botox to reduce the size of my masseter muscles, now I am thinking to get a facial contouring surgery, will botox affect the surgery?

+1
Hello, and thanks for your questions.

I am sure you have worked out most of the answer for yourself.
It always gives your Plastic Surgeon the best preoperative assessment if he can see what you look like before your surgery so he knows exactly what he is working with.
Having said that, your Plastic Surgeon is a specialist in this field, and his assessment involves more than the sections you have 'hidden' or 'masked' with your non-surgical injections.

I am a little surprised that your Plastic surgeon has not already discussed these when giving you your injections. After all, his skill in reconstructing revolves around all methods- surgical and non-surgical. He will be able to easily deal with these when you are in front of him.

I wish you well in your journey.

Sydney Plastic Surgeon

+1
Any remaining Juvederm can be dissolved if necessary prior to a rhinoplasty so that the most accurate augmentation is performed.

Fillers and nasal augmenentation

+1
Fillers can be used to temporarily give the nasal bridge increased height. The filler will last 3-6 months depending on the type and the patient.

The long term option is a rhinoplasty and this can be done with filler in place, but usually it is better to wait until it has dissolved so the results of the surgical augmentation can be assessed at the time of the procedure.

Jeremy Hunt

Jeremy Hunt, MBBS, FRACS
Sydney Plastic Surgeon

Nasal Juvederm prior to Surgical Rhinoplasty

+1
A major advantage to juvederm (and other HAs such as restylane) is that it is "reversible" by the injection of hyaluronidase aka Vitrase. It works very quickly so the wait before having an operation is minimized.

As for botox in the masseters, I would not get it right before getting facial contouring surgery as it may not longer be necessary after the surgery.

Michael M. Kim, MD

Michael M. Kim, MD
Portland Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty surgery after Juvederm to nose

+1
Dear rere89, Six months from the date of Juvederm for rhinoplasty surgery should be fine. I would discuss with your rhinoplasty surgeon that you had the injections and see what he/she determines is the best time interval. You will want to discuss whether you still see the differences from the Juvederm and if you think it has dissipated from the original time of injection.  You can have the Juvederm dissolved with hyaluronidase. I personally would not inject botox in the masseter muscle so you may want to speak with your injecting surgeon regarding this issue and facial contouring surgery. Make sure if you are seeking another surgeon for the contouring that he/she is aware of these earlier injections. Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D,.

Michael Elam, MD

Addressing prior Juvederm injection before rhinoplasty

+1
One of the advantages of Juvederm is that it can be very easily dissolved.  Prior to your rhinoplasty procedure your surgeon can use a hyaluronidase (such as Vitrase) to dissolve any remaining Juvederm.  This way he/she can accurately assess your dorsum (bridge). 

If you are considering facial contouring surgery, it is best to hold off on Botox for masseter reduction until after surgery.  

Donald B. Yoo, MD

Do Juvederm and Botox affect surgery?

+1
Good question.  The answer is yes.

With the Juvederm there is an antidote that your surgeon can use which will dissolve the Juvederm.  This is probably the easiest way to eliminate it but speak to your surgeon.  Juvederm in the nose can otherwise take a long time to disappear.

With the Botox you just need to wait until it wears off.  This can take a few months.

Hope that helps

Peter Callan, MBBS
Geelong Plastic Surgeon

+1
Many thanks for the question.I think your PS will not operate unless your Juviderm has dissolved in your nose since whatever shape he will create will alter as and when your filler dissolves.The same is true for Botox.Unless the effect of Botox has gone the recountouring will not end into a wanted result since massator atrophy will continue and will continue to alter the shape your jaw.
Wish you all the best.

Ashok Govila, FRCS, MCh, MS
Dubai Plastic Surgeon