Alternatives to Juvederm for the Lips?

I just had two syringes of Juvederm in my lips. Two weeks later, they are back to their original size before the shots. Are there any alternatives besides Juvederm that may work? Would Juvederm Ultra Plus be a better choice?

Evolence Breeze may be a better solution compared to HA fillers for lip augmentation and tear trough

+2

To date, there is no filler that has FDA indication for lip augmentation or tear trough areas beneath lower eyelids. On the other hand, Restylane and Juvederm are the two most commonly used and widely accepted fillers of choice for the lips and tear troughs. The challenge with hyaluronic acid (HA) fillers such as Restylane or Juvederm is that they are potent humectants, meaning that they tend to draw water to the area of injection, particularly with manual massage. For this reason, one tend to see very nice plump after HA during the initial week but may be somewhat disappointed once the swelling/edema fades after a couple weeks. Evolence is the next generation of pure collagen filler that provides volume replenishment with much more gradual degradation. However, it is not advisable to use Evolence in the lips or tear troughs given risk of nodularity (lumps or bumps). For those who hope to achieve longer longevity and less swelling compared to traditional HA fillers in the lips and tear trough areas, Evolence Breeze (which is about to achieve FDA approval) may be a better solution.

Bay Area Dermatologic Surgeon

Juvederm and lip augmentation.

+1

Hi!

There is a missing piece in your story. It is essentially impossible that you had TWO syringes of Juvederm in your lips, with no detectable effect in 2 weeks.  I doubt that this was Juvederm.

Juvederm and Restylane are good for the lips, and they last a few months.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Juve lips

+1

California Girl,

Yours is a highly unusual case. With two syringes of Juvederm in your lips you should look like a platypus for a few months at least. As you've already heard, no filler is FDA approved for lip augmentation. Are you sure that the injected material was indeed Juvederm and was it performed by a licensed physician? If everything seems to be in order in that regard, then maybe you just rapidly metabolize the material. A more permanent answer might be fat transfer to your lips. Be sure to consult with a board certified plastic surgeon to learn the risks and what to expect from lip fat injection. Good luck!

Kenneth R. Francis, MD

Hyaluronic acids are currently best for lip augmentation

+1

Lip injections with any filler is not an FDA approved procedure.

That being said lip augmentation with fillers is very common.

We primarily use Hyaluronic acid based fillers such as Juvederm and Restylane for lip injections.

If Juvederm is going away fast you may want to try Juvederm UltraPlus or Perlane.

Nissan Pilest, MD
Irvine Dermatologic Surgeon

Juvederm is your best bet

+1

I am very surprised to hear that two syringes of Juvederm lasted for such a short period of time. I typically use one full syringe or slightly more to augment both the upper and lower lips. The result typically lasts around six months.

Juvederm Ultra is about 20% thicker, so it may last slightly longer.

Unfortunately, I don't believe there are any good alternatives to obtain smooth and predicable lip augmentation.

Jeffrey Horowitz, MD
Bel Air Plastic Surgeon