Does Juvederm Always Get Absorbed by the Body and Disappear?

I am concerned because I am considering Juvederm for my lips, but I have read some comments from people on this site that said it hardened in their face (when they got it for nasolabial folds) and is still there 2 years later. This just doesn't seem possible if it is temporary. Please explain.

Juvederm hyaluronic acid duration for facial cosmetic treatment

+2

Hyaluronic acids (Juvederm, Restylane, etc) are temporary injectable fillers, with a wide range of cosmetic applications. Juvederm may last potentially up to one year after treatment.

All facial injections, including hyaluronic acid, have the potential to stimulate the body to increase collagen production in the areas treated. This collagen may be minuscule or very noticeable, with lots of variability.

Fortunately, hyaluronic acid fillers may be reversed partially or completely with Hyaluronidase injection. Hyaluronidase is given in the office and breaks down hyaluronic acid quickly, with results usually within a day.

Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

Juvederm

+2

In general, the hyaluronic acids resorb over time, but your body can lay down its own collagen as a response to the  different products.  This is very rare, but it certainly can lead to some scar tissue development.

Juvederm and It's Absorption in the Face

+2

Dear Run to West,

Unfortunately Juvederm only lasts for about 9 to 12 months. Studies have shown that hyaluronic acids (Restylane and Juvederm) do stimulate the body to increase collagen production in the areas where it is injected.

It is extremely rare for Juvederm to "harden and be present 2 years later". I would question whether it was actually Juvederm that was placed. Sadly, patients don't always get what they are told that they are having injected. That is one of many reasons to seek out a physician who is professional, well trained, and experienced for your facial cosmetic treatments.

Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD

The product is expected to go away

+2

The product goes away, but some people demonstrate a build up of their own collagen as a response to the treatment. This might be a reason for this, but there also is a chance that the product is not degraded that quickly in a particular individual but it still is expected to go away.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Juvederm always gets absrobed except

+2

Juvederm if injected too superificially in the skin will not get absorbed and will leave a blue colored line. If placed properly in the deeper part of skin, it will eventually get absorbed.

Regards

Tanveer Janjua, MD
Bedminster Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rare Occurance

+2

Dear Run2west,

One of the great things about Juvederm and other HA products like it, is that it reversible by injecting Hyaluronidase. This is an enzyme that degrades the product if too much is injected or if there are symptomatic lumps. A rare few individuals may get a reaction to the injection that could take a prolonged period of time to resolve. For most patients, expect at least 6 to 8 months of benefit in the lips before needing a refill.

Leslie H. Stevens, MD

Juvederm Broken Down Gradually

+1
Hyaluronic acid filler is temporary, and will eventually be broken down by your body over time, generally within 9-12 months, but could be longer depending on your own metabolism. It is unlikely that it will harden in your lips, as it will dissolve over time.

Jerome Edelstein, MD