Juvederm 24 Injected in Lips and Still There After 3 Years

Dear doctors, i had my lips injected with juvederm 24 when i was 23, the doctor told me that it will go away within a year max but its been 3 years now and i can still feel it. i like the results but im scared it might cause infections or i dont know paralysis? is this true? and would it eventually absorb? please please help

Juvederm usually is temporary

+2

If you like the results after Juvederm don't worry about being able to still feel some of it 3 years later. It is just passively sitting there doing its job and there are no risks of infection or paralysis. If the area gets larger or turns red and lumps then see your doctor in case the very very rare condition called granulomas is developing. This would truely be a rare event with Juvederm. Also,the Juvederm will probably slowly disappear unless what you are feeling is scar tissue for some reason.

Victoria Plastic Surgeon

Juvederm Results Can Last For Years

+2

Juvederm and Restylane are made of hyaluronic acid, a natural component of the skin.  They are safe, easily absorbed and pose very little risk of allergic reaction. Injections can be relatively painless and will immediately reduce lines and wrinkles. Results typically last 12 or more months and in many cases can last for years. I have many patients whose lips continue to look good for three to four years after their injection with Juvederm or Restylane. These fillers have been shown to stimulate your own collagen production which could explain their longevity.

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

Juvederm persisting in lips

+2

In some patients Juvederm may last years.  Much of what you are still seeing is also new collagen stimulated by the Juvederm, so it is your own tissue.  Do not worry about infection!  Paralysis is also a non issue.  Your lips are safe, and it sounds like they look great too.  So just enjoy!

Hope that helps.

Madeline Krauss, M.D.

Madeline Krauss, MD
Boston Dermatologic Surgeon

Juvederm an excellent lip filler

+1

Although infections are possible any time there is an injection of any kind, it is extremely rare with aseptic technique and is hardly ever noted with the hyaluronic acids such as Juvederm and Restylane.  The do eventually dissolve.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Juvederm Longevity

+1

Dear Mona, It is very unlikely that there is Juvederm still in your lips after 3 years. I advise you to follow up with the Doctor who did your treatment to determine the cause of your concern.  If it was indeed Juvederm that is still there, there is a anecdote to Juvederm that can be injected and make the Juvederm disappear if you are unhappy w/ the results.  There is nearly no chance of infection or paralysis at this point in time - these are both risks while undergoing injections - not a risk several years after.  Good Luck!

Dr. Grant Stevens

Grant Stevens, MD

Juvederm still in lips long after Lip Augmentation

+1

You're at no risk of paralysis and infection, of the lips after 3 years also seems highly unlikely.  If the nodules are not creating pain or swelling I'd do nothins however, if this does occur it may signal a delayed hypesensitivity reaction to the Juvederm in which case you shouldn't have anymore injected.