Deep Scar on Cheek from Spider Bite - Would Juvederm Help?

I was bitten by a brown recluse spider on my cheek and have a deep scar. I have had laser therapy six times but the scar still remains. What would you recommend I do to either get rid of this forever or at least for a year at a time?

Deep scars of the face are best treated with subcision or with surgical scar revision.

+1

Deep scars of the face are best treated with subcision or with surgical scar revision. While support with a filler might help this is best done after a surgical intervention.

Chicago Dermatologist

Deep scars are hard to reverse with fillers, excision and fat injections can work

+1

Deep scars are hard to reverse with fillers, excision and fat injections can work.  This is in my experience.  Sometimes you are able to get some improvement with fillers. But what I've experienced is that the filler tends to be injected in the surrounding areas and not where you want them which is under the scar.  You really have to break up the scar tissue that has accumulated under the depression and this needs to be released.   Once release you can fill it with fillers or fat.  What I like to do is undermine the depressed area with different instruments and then fill it with fat.  This however will not improve any surface characteristics like incisions or lines there.  The only way to improve that is to actually excise this type of scar.  I would really need to see a picture of the scar or the scar in person to better figure out a way to improve it.  Sometimes with the scar revision, you need to go under the skin to really release the collagen bands of scar tissue to alllow the skin to relax.  Then more fat grafting may still be needed. You can always email me a picture if you would like more details.

Philip Young, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Fillers are way to go

+1

Lasers will NOT help an isolated deep depression. Lasers MAY be useful AFTER fillers have been performed, depending on need to correct unevenness, color, etc.

I would personally go with Radiesse. Radiesse gives you more bang for your buck and for significant depressions/wrinkles, it is going to last longer AND stimulate natural collagen production. MAKE SURE you are evaluated by a dermatologist OR plastic surgeon. At a spa, they may be okay actually doing the procedure, but a Dermatologist is going to UNDERSTAND what you need, why you need it, and how it works.

Tracy Kuykendall, MD
Tulsa Dermatologist

Scar - would juvederm help

+1

I'd have to see you in person to tell you exactly what the best treatment would be for your scar.  If you have a dent or depression, Juvederm can help.  I had a depressed chicken pox scar on my forehead that I fill with Juvederm and it helps.  However, I'd recommend you see a plastic surgeon in consultation so they can evaluate your specific anatomy and tell you what the best treatment would be for your scar.

Dr. Cat Begovic M.D.

Catherine Huang-Begovic, MD

Treatment for a spider bite scar on the cheek

+1

Scars may be revised by surgical excision, punch graft, scar elevation, scar dermabrasion, Fraxel Restore multiple treatments, Fraxel Repair, special dressings, subcision and fillers. You would have to be examined to determine what are the best treatments for you. Some scars are so bound down that filler injected underneath them spreads out to the adjoining dermis and elevates the epidermis making the indented scar look deeper!

Ronald Shelton, MD

Treatment of a scar with filler

+1

The best way to treat your scar depends on the size, shape, depth, and location of your scar. It sounds like you would benefit from a filler, to raise the level of the scar so it is even with the rest of the skin, in combination with a resurfacing laser such as Fraxel that will blend the scar so it is less visible.  Nothing will get rid of the scar forever, but it can probably be significantly improved.  While Juvederm may only last from 4-8 months depending on where it is injected, it can last longer.  It is also a nice choice because it can fill small and large areas.  Sculptra is good for a larger area and increases the volume like blowing up a balloon.  It cannot be used as precisely as Juvederm can.  Radiesse may be an option, as it can last longer than Juvederm and it can be used for precise filling.

Jordana S. Gilman, MD
Atlanta Dermatologic Surgeon

Spider bite scar

+1

In your case I would recommend something more permanent like fat or Sculptra. Although Juvederm is a great product in your case a longer lasting filler should give you a good result without the need for repeated injections.

Dr Siegel

Michel Siegel, MD
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon

+1

A posted photo could help get better advise. But my guess is yes a filler might help. From MIAMI Dr. Darryl j. Blinski

Scar Revision with Fillers

+1

Brown Recluse spider bites cause significant tissue damage that can result in deep scars.  Lasers may help to "smooth" the edges, but will not improve a deep central crater.  Fillers may help but usually needs to be done in combination with subcision. Subcision involves using a knife to cut the deep scar tissue and then filler can be placed to raise up the center.

Matthew Schulman, MD

Cheek scar

+1

If the scar is a divot, then a filler may be beneficial to raise it up, but the scar would have to be evaluated to see if it can be revised.