I Got Juvaderm Under the Eye in Feb 11 I Have Two Dark Spots Under my Eyes, How Do I Remove Them?

Over a year ago after a juvaderm injection, I was left with two dark spots under my eye. I was told they would go away. They won't! I think it is a hemociterin staining. It has been a year, shouldn't it be gone by now? What do you recommend? Should I go back to the same doctor? I was not happy with him but hold him responsible. Is he? Would he help me? What is your opinion?

Bruising after fillers

Skin pigmentation and “stains” can be common with certain ethnicities, Mediterranean, Greek and Italian, for example.  Rather then being completely absorbed, bruises can leave hemosiderin deposits in the skin.  After the purplish discoloration fades, light brown discoloration can remain.

The good news is that there are a variety of treatments to improve hemosiderin skin discoloration.  In my practice I typically recommend a trial of a skin lightening agent such as 4% hydroquinone.  For many patients this is sufficient.  If there is still discoloration after a trial period of four weeks a light TCA peel will typically remove the residual pigmentation.

Hope this helps.

San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Staining of Lower Eyelid 10 Months Post Juvederm

Hemosiderin staining following bruising can last a year or more. Bleaching creams may be helpful, but it can take a long time for the increased pigmentation to resolve. I would get a second opinion from an experienced cosmetic dermatologic surgeon.

I would at least consult with another physician

It could be PIH (post inflammatory hyperpigmentation) and that does usually resolve itself after a year or so, but can take longer. It's hard without pre and post photos to fully evaluate the areas and give an opinion. If you weren't happy with your injector, I would at least visit another physician for an opinion and evaluation.

Usually hemosiderin staining is gone after a year

If it is post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation that can be treated with topical creams. Hemosiderin staining after a very bad bruise will usually fade after a year, but sometimes it can take another six months. See a cosmetically savvy dermatologist or other cosmetic specialist.

Jeffrey Schiller, MD
Staten Island Oculoplastic Surgeon