Do Juvaderm/Perlane Spread when Placed in the Face?

I was a huge fan of injecting Radiesse into my nose to increase the bridge as well as to achieve a slender and narrow affect from the front view. However, I would soon like to opt for a more permanent solution (rhinoplasty), and have discontinued my Radiesse injections. I recently got Juvaderm injecting into my nose to try and create the same effect, and I noticed my nose got wider and more bulky. Am I imagining things or does Juvaderm in fact spread when injected into the face?

Spread of Juvederm/Perlane in the Face

+1

Although Radiesse, Juvederm, and Perlane are all different products and are placed in different layers of the skin they should not spread after placement. Problems like this are usually due to the technique, not the product.  At some point you'll have to stop injecting the fillers before doing a rhinoplasty for a permanent result.

Juvederm in node vs. radiesse

+1

One should be able to create a similar look with the two products if they are placed at same depth but if doing fine work in a narrow area might be better able to control the shaping of radiesse as it  is firmer. I don't think the juvederm spread but may have absorbed water and "puffed" up a little. If one product was injected right over bone and other was not, you will get a different correction and this might be the reason for difference. All that being said, if you don't like the juverderm, dissolve it. 

Jo Herzog, MD
Birmingham Dermatologist

+1

Juvederm is thinner than Perlane or Radiesse and is injected into the layers of the skin versus the fatty tissues.  It's possible that the MD injected the Juvederm into the layers below the skin that would allow the Juvederm to spread to the sides.  Rhinoplasty with a dorsal graft of cartilage or silastic would be a permanent solution.

Do Juvaderm/Perlane Spread when Placed in the Face

+1

When first put in, juvaderm, perlane and restylane are capable of being molded. This process can be done for 3 to 5 days. After that, it is fixed, and cannot move.

Barry Lycka, MD
Edmonton Dermatologic Surgeon

Juvederm and Post-Injection Swelling

+1

Juvederm does absorb more water than other hyaluronate fillers like Restylane and definitely more than Radiesse.  This means that a little less needs to be injected to obtain a given degree of correction.  If it is injected to just the "perfect" amount visibly at the time of treatment, it will look a little overcorrected a few days later.   Juvederm or other hyaluronate fillers will spread more in tissues and provide less of a fill out than Radiesse which is a little stiffer in terms of it's ability to create a contour. 

If the contour you obtained looks good after a few weeks, then stick with it until it eventually absorbs.  If a really unsuitable shape or size has resulted, Juvederm and other hyaluronate fillers can be erased using the enzyme hyaluronidase which can be injected by your doctor.   

Lawrence Bass, MD

Spread of Juvederm and other fillers

+1

Without pictures or knowing exactly what and where you had injections in your nose, it is impossible to give you specific advice.  In general, injections stay where you put them.  Over time, the injections are metabolized so you may not see as big of difference as it is getting close to time for your next injection.  Also, you may experience some swelling in the day or two after the injection and as that swelling resolves you may have been used to the look and then see less of a change once the swelling goes away.

Good Luck.

David Shafer, MD