Is Juvederm Good for a Horizontal Line Above Lip?

I am 28 years old. My skin is in good shape, aside form this one inch long horizontal line above my lip. I am not a smoker, it is definitely from my smile. A doctor once recommended a botox/filler combo, but I am terrified to use botox in that area. Would a filler such as Juvaderm be good for that? Again the line is about one inch long and horizontal. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Smoothing the TRANVERSE Upper lip Line

+2

Regarding: "Is Juvederm Good for a Horizontal Line Above Lip?
I am 28 years old. My skin is in good shape, aside form this one inch long horizontal line above my lip. I am not a smoker, it is definitely from my smile. A doctor once recommended a botox/filler combo, but I am terrified to use botox in that area. Would a filler such as Juvaderm be good for that? Again the line is about one inch long and horizontal. Any advice would be greatly appreciated
!"

It would have been of great help to SEE what line you are referring to. As with all things medical, the key to proper cure is a proper diagnosis followed by selection of the proper treatment.

Not all lines are the same. Vertical lip lines are created by loss of lip fill with aging and excess ultraviolet exposure, as a result adding filler (fat, Restylane and juvederm, weakening lip pursing muscles (Botox) and sanding some of the skin (Laser resurfacing) usually yields very nice results.

The transverse upper lip line, if this is the line we are both thinking about, is caused by a combination of a prominent anterior nasal spine AND active lifting of the mid upper lip by a small paired muscle called the depressor septi nasi muscle. Removal the muscle from its attachment is the best way of dealing with it. Botox to the area is not as successful but may be tried. Injecting filler into this line is a temporary solution since the muscle will contract multiple times and overcome the filler.

Dr. Peter A Aldea

Juvederm Ultra for Lip Lines

+2

Hello and thank you for the question.

Regarding your question, Juvederm Ultra is a good choice for managing peri-oral lip lines. The treatment is generally performed over a couple of sessions a few weeks apart to produce optimal results. I strongly recommend going to a clinician who has experience in managing peri-oral wrinkles.

Glenn Vallecillos, M.D., F.A.C.S.

Glenn Vallecillos, MD

Juvaderm may be the most effective filler for lines in the lips

+1

Juvaderm may be the most effective filler for lines in the lips. This may be because of the special cross linking and the amount of free hyaluronic acid in the product.

Edward Lack, MD
Chicago Dermatologist

Fillers for a perioral wrinkle

+1

As long as the filler is a thinner substance, fillers can be used for this purpose.  I have used both Juvederm Ultra or Prevelle Silk and they have produced very nice results.  Sometimes 1 or 2 units of Botox could also be used if your crease worsens with activiation of your mouth sphincter muscle.

Chad Douglas Tattini, MD
Bloomington Plastic Surgeon

Juvederm excellent for lip line

+1

I agree with those who say that Juvederm Ultra would be best for this line. In my experience, Juvederm can provide a very soft, natural result throughout the lip area.

Ryan Greene, MD, PhD
Fort Lauderdale Facial Plastic Surgeon

Upper lip line and fillers

+1

Well, if you are afraid of Botox it is certainly reasonable to sue a filler to soften the  line. It will not completely flattern it if it is from animation.

Juvederm Great for Upper Lip and Lip Lines

+1

I have been extremely pleased with the results of hyaluronic acid gel / Juvederm in treating lip lines and for lip enhancements for patients of all ages.  Your horizontal line should be no exception.  It is a simple and easy procedure to undergo, taking just moments to perform in the office.  Enjoy! 

Randolph Capone, MD
Baltimore Facial Plastic Surgeon

Is Juvederm good for a horizontal lip line?

+1

I have been very pleased with the results from Juvederm injection into lip lines. Obviously horizontal ones ( smoker’s lips) are more common than horizontal, but it gives an excellent result with very little chance for lumpiness. I would not recommend Botox in someone of your age particularly since you are against its use in the first place.

William F. DeLuca Jr, MD
Albany Plastic Surgeon

Upper lip horizontal line treated with Juvederm or Restylane

+1

The horizontal upper lip line is a very commonly seen line in the cosmetic dermatologist's or plastic surgeon's office. Botox tends to minimize the vertical better than the horizontal lines, and as an off-label use, can flatten, elongate and weaken the upper lip temporarily affecting the smile, brushing teeth, eating and speech. Fillers work best, but often the muscle which causes this horizontal line will still show the crease when there is a big smile despite being treated by Juvederm or Restylane. Laser resurfacing or dermabrasion will not make it go away completely as it is a mimetic line, a crease that is caused by muscle contraction.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Lip lines

+1

I think that fillers would help, but I think a small amount of Botox along with it is the best solution.

Scott E. Kasden, MD