Will Juvederm correct my shallow cheeks and sagging skin? (Photo)

Hi, I have very loose skin and shallow cheeks and while I think a facelift would be ideal, financially it's just not a possibility at the moment. However, I've been researching Juvaderm and it seems it works best filling "firm lines", while I have "loose lines" and extra skin and am wondering if it would work for correcting that. I have attached the most unflattering photo I could to emphasize the problem areas. Thank you in advance for any advice!

Correcting Shallow Cheeks

+2
You would benefit from increasing your cheek volume. My first choice would be to transfer your own fat to the depressed area. My second choice would be to inject Radiesse. Both of these techniques will last much longer than Juvederm which I use in other facial locations.

It looks as though you could benefits from Juvederm injections to your cheeks.

+1
It looks as though you could benefits from Juvederm injections to your cheeks. You need to seek an experienced injector to perform this treatment.

Discuss treatment options and your goals with the injector. It's important to grasp a realistic idea of what fillers can do for you.

All the Best.  

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Treatment for Shallow Cheeks

+1
If you wanted to improve your “shallow cheeks” I would recommend Sculptra. Sculptra is used to stimulate collagen production, helping to replenish volume loss. Sculptra is the only volumizer scientifically designed to stimulate natural collagen growth treating the underlying cause of facial aging. It is important to be aware that Sculptra is not an instant filler, but a collagen stimulator, improvement will be slow and progressive for up to 6 months after your last session. Sculptra is injected in a series of treatments once a month, usually for 3-4 sessions and the benefits of Sculptra last up to 2 years with optimal treatment.

I would also recommend Juvederm Voluma for the Mid Cheek. Voluma is specifically formulated to correct volume loss and enhance contour to the mid cheek area creating a subtle lift, giving a more youthful appearance. Voluma instantly provides a smooth, natural-looking appearance to the cheek area that last up to 2 years with optimal treatment.

Lastly, I would recommend Thermage CPT to improve your “sagging skin.” Thermage CPT uses focused radiofrequency energy to stimulate the body’s own natural renewal process. A Thermage treatment can help improve the appearance of sagging or loose skin giving you a smoother, younger look with just one treatment and no down time. My patients see results immediately off the table and continue to get improvement with Thermage CPT Total Tip treatments for up to 6 months as their skin regenerates new collagen.

Consult with a Board Certified Dermatologist to see which option is best for you and how many sessions/syringes you would need.

Nissan Pilest, MD
Irvine Dermatologic Surgeon

Juvederm or other options for loss of volume and sagging skin

+1
Juvederm could be a part of the solution, but likely not all. It appears you spend time in the sun and sun exposure will definitely age you prematurely, which includes early wrinkling, sagging and loss of the elasticity in your skin.

There are varied options and it's not possible for a doctor to be totally definite about a solution without some additional background and a personal visit.

Have you always been thin? Is weight loss or any recent illness a factor? Does your diet include a lot of caffeine that might cause dehydration? 

Granted, Juvederm's new Voluma product is a great instant filler for accentuating cheekbones - but to better recontour the entire cheek area, Sculptra may be a better option. The placement of volume, regardless of the source, will help "lift" the face somewhat, but if skin is lax beyond that capability, then a procedure like Ultherapy may be on the recommended procedure list.

Voluma has an expected 18 to 24 month longevity in the areas it's intended for. Sculptra will often be evident longer since the final results are your own collagen - but it's a process instead of instant. Depending on the end effect you want, the cost of sufficient fillers can become a factor too. Seek out a qualified board certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon who has ample filler experience and can give you the choices that will work the best for you for the longest period of time.

Rebecca Fitzgerald, MD
Los Angeles Dermatologist

Shallow cheeks and sagging skin can be improved with dermal fillers - Juvederm, Voluma, Restylane

+1
I think you are an excellent candidate for dermal fillers.  I'd put some Voluma in the upper cheeks and Juvederm in the lower.  This will instantly improve things for a year or more.  I'm a blunt cannula user for these injections and highly recommend this technique for minimizing discomfort, swelling, and bruising.  Steve Weiner, MD, Facial Plastic Surgeon, Destin, Florida.

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Juvederm

+1
Fillers can be used to perform a non-surgical facelift to lift sagging areas and revolumize the face.  This will greatly rejuvenate the face.  There are also minimally invasive procedures that can bridge the time until you have a facelift.  Please consult with a board certified specialist who can assist you with achieving the results you seek.  3-D computer imaging will also help you visualize what you may look like afterwards.

Kimberly Lee, MD

Fillers are an option for providing a more youthful appearance

+1
Dear Jess, There are different types of fillers used for different areas of the face and different needs. I prefer Radiesse or fat transfer for augmenting the cheek area and adding more volume to the face. While I will use other fillers for fine lines versus deep lines etc. A consultation with an experienced injecting physician will help you have more knowledge of the types of fillers used and their various benefits. Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D.

Michael Elam, MD

Sculptra for hollow cheeks

+1
Hi Jess.  In your particular situation, we would prefer Sculptra over any other product.  Restylane, Juvederm, Belotero, Radiesse, Perlane and Voluma are all good options, but for the very thin appearance and volume loss you have, Sculptra really fills out the cheeks well.

Other benefits include the fact that it is your own collagen being generated and that it can last up to and beyond 2 years.  You can see some folks that have had the procedure at the link below or if you contact us through the Realself.com website, we can email you more.

Harold J. Kaplan, MD

Will Juvederm correct my shallow cheeks and sagging skin?

+1
Yes, you do have some facial thinness and volume loss, especially near your cheek area.  There are several different types of fillers that could help.  You want to go to someone who uses a lot of fillers so you get the most out of the fillers.  Some fillers last longer than others; some are meant for thin lines/some for deep lines, etc.  In addition, you may benefit from some skin tightening like the Protege Elite.  This machine tightens skin and gives a more youthful appearance!

+1
Facial volume loss is very common. A new long-lasting option for adding volume to and lifting the cheek area is Voluma which is simply a "flavor" of Juvederm that is formulated for longevity and more lift. Even if you had the funds available, I do not think that a facelift will create the changes that you're looking for. Further, the little bit of laxity that you notice would likely be remedied with volume replacement as opposed to skin removal (facelift). I hope this information is helpful for you.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon