What if my Juvaderm Box Didn't Have Plastic Wrap on It Before It Was Injected? Should That Worry Me?

When I went to the Dr. a few days ago to get my folds injected I was put in a different room than normal etc and the dr came in with the box( it didn't have plastic wrap that it usually does) and I didn't see the nurse open it etc. I'm concerned that I didn't get a new syringe and all the possible diseases from if it wasn't. My friend went to him and he told her he could save her filler for six months. Should I be panicking?

Juvederm packaging

+1

The Juvederm has 2 separate sterile syringes per cellophane wrapped box.   So , you can still get a new syringe despite it being an open box.  This was likely the case with yours.  

Sometime, if I have some residual Juvederm left in a syringe, I will save the unused portion for later use in that patient only. ( it is strictly labeled with the patient's name and DOB, date and stored in a safe and separate area).

Hope this helps.

Colorado Springs Dermatologic Surgeon

+1

I would hope that you wouldn't have to worry about something like that.  Perhaps you could call the office, speak with the nurse and voice your concerns.  Most likely they'll have a reasonable explanation.

Juvederm

+1

A box of Juvederm comes with 2 syringes which are individually packed within the box.  So, if you were only having one syringe, it would be normal for the box to already be open.  The most important thing to look for is that the syringe was not already opened.  The syringes are packaged in a clear tray with a peel off top.  If you don't see the doctor peel off the top of the clear tray and remove the syringe, then I would be worried about cross contamination of a syringe...  Whether or not the box that holds two syringes is open already or not, has nothing to do with the sterility of the syringes.  

Good Luck.

David Shafer, MD

Juvéderm Syringes Are Packaged Two In One Box

+1

Juvéderm syringes come packaged in a cellophane wrapped box. Within that box there are two individually packaged syringes of Juvéderm. This packaging is done because it is the company’s belief that, in order to achieve full correction, most patients require one syringe for each nasolabial fold.

There are instances where the patient or the physician decides that only one syringe is all that is desired or necessary for treatment. In that case, one sterilely packaged syringe of Juvéderm is removed from the box. This leaves one sterilely packaged syringe of Juvéderm in the box, available for use by another patient. In this scenario there is no cross-contamination or exposure to blood-borne pathogens.

Juvéderm injectable gel products (as well as all other pre-packaged sterile injectable fillers) are intended to be single use only. This means that the syringe is to be used one time only for a single patient treatment. If the entire syringe is not used during that treatment session the syringe should be disposed. Re-using left over product, even in the same patient, is not recommended to reduce the risk of bacterial infection.

Re-using left over product on a different patient is certainly not recommended due to the risk of disease transmission (namely blood-borne pathogens such as hepatitis C, hepatitis B, and HIV), and would be considered malpractice.

I hope this alleviates your concerns. If you have questions about this in the future, don’t hesitate to ask your physician at the time of the procedure.

Best wishes, Kenneth Dembny

Kenneth Dembny, II, MD
Milwaukee Plastic Surgeon

Juvederm Packaging

+1

Juvederm is packaged with 2 syringes in each box.  The plastic wrapping around the box has nothing to do with product sterility.  Inside the box there are two separate plastic packages with peel off lids.  The material inside the syringe should be expected to remain sterile unless the syringe is damaged or the cap is dislodged.  The manufacturer recommends discarding any unused material after injection, however many practioners will save unused material from partially injected syringes.  The risk of infection from a partially used syringe is probably very small.  I have personally never heard of one.  The safest practice is of course is to follow the manufacturer's recomendations.

Alexander Gross, MD
Atlanta Dermatologic Surgeon