Juvaderm, Botox, Photofacial Age 25?

I am 25 and I would say I look my age in terms of aging. I wanted to start anti aging and I went and got small amounts of botox and juvaderm for some cheek hollowness. So far the Juvaderm looks pretty good. I'm scheduled for a photofacial soon. I guess my biggest question is will all these procedures at a young age potentially ruin my looks? I see all these stars and their faces look shiny and plastic. What causes that? Will the photofacial make me look like that? or years of botox?

Long-term effects of Botox and Juvederm

+2

Botox is actually an excellent preventative treatment and will not allow wrinkles to become deeply imprinted into your facial skin.  Over the long-term it is actually beneficial to have been treated with Botox.  Once wrinkles are deeply formed in the skin, they are much more difficult to remove.  Finding the right treatment provider is the key to avoid looking "plastic".  

No you definitely won't ruin your skin with botox and juvederm...but...

+2

remember you're only 25...don't want to get carried away with a lot of unnecessary procedures...if you really look your age, relax and wait awhile...avoid too much sun, don't smoke, eat appropriately and enjoy your youth...there's always time to treat and correct problems as they develop but sometimes people jump the gun...ask your mom or a good friend about your skin and listen to what they say...if there's an issue, address it...but if not, relax and read a book and enjoy life...and remember we'll always have a cabinet full of botox and juvederm when the need arises

Ken Landow, MD

How young is too young for cosmetic procedures

+2

The age of people doing procedures like this seems to be getting younger and younger. While the average age for Botox probably used to start in the mid-30s, it's getting younger and younger each year. I have many patients starting in their 20s because they want to prevent the lines and not have to just "treat" them later. It's about being conservative and not over-addressing things that aren't there. Fillers and neuromodulators won't ruin your looks. Nor will photofacials. But a big part of aging is good skincare and a good daily sunscreen too. Remember that when you are looking at photos of stars they have intense lights on them - which is a great amount of why they look shiny and plastic. Also, yes, some are overdone with procedures, but what you are starting with isn't excessive. So, go for moderation.

F. Victor Rueckl, MD

You are smart to start taking care of your appearance now.

+2

Everything you are doing is good. I would recommend adding in a peel or 2 also to refresh everything. Sincerely,David Hansen,md

David Hansen, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Treatments for Prevention

+1

Most people are doing preventative procedures like these at a younger age, which is a good thing. You should not have a “shiny or plastic” look with the right guidance from a qualified, trustworthy physician.

Kimberly Butterwick, MD
San Diego Dermatologic Surgeon

Preventative care- great long term pay off

+1

Botox is a great preventative agent for wrinkles. Filler can accomplish great results for areas needing volume. Wrinkling can start very early in patients with strong muscles. Botox can do wonders at preventing long term lines. Fillers are very popular in younger clients for filling cheeks and lips for aesthetic enhancement. Our patients are always very happy with the results. I wish you luck in finding a great injector in your area.

George T. Boris, MD, FRCS, FACS

Juvaderm, Botox, Photofacial Age 25?

+1

At age 25, you shouldn't need much in the way of reduced facial wrinkles which is what Botox, Dysport and Xeomin do.  If you want to use it as a precautionary measure be certain to select a plastic and cosmetic surgeon that can explain what should reasonably be done at your age.

Shaping the cheek can be important at any age beyond 20 as the baby fat leaves the face and the cheeks appear less full and round (in women as men's cheeks are more narrow and angularly shaped.  I prefer using Perlane as the filler of choice to shape the cheeks to a more naturally attractive shape.  Juvederm and Restylane are to thin for facial shaping and Radiesse is a bit to lumpy for my patient clientele.

For facial rejuvenation, a 30 % TCA peel should be more than adequate and while IPL is a great tool...it is more time and money than you probably need to invest at your age.  The shiny skin you describe comes form over re-surfacing the skin with Lasers or other resurfacing modalities when the skin doesn't require that level of intervention.

Botox and fillers/facials

+1

Botox and fillers won't make you look plastic as you note - however they are good choices for preventative aging...long term they won't "ruin your looks" but potentially will help you form static lines that would otherwise happen without the relaxation of muscle and volume replacement.

Sam Naficy, MD

Botox at the age of mid to late 20s can help prevent wrinkles and will keep skin smooth.

+1

Botox at the age of mid to late 20s can help prevent wrinkles and will keep the skin smooth. In terms of fillers, however, I would not recommend starting so early, unless there's true premature volume loss or significant lines on the face. Otherwise, I would probably wait till your 30s, when there's early volume loss of the face which may need correction. The photofacial is a safe procedure to reduce facial redness, improve skin texture and reduce pore size. 

Leyda Elizabeth Bowes, MD
Miami Dermatologic Surgeon