Options for Jowls and Neck Fat?

I am a healthy 42 year-old-male, concerned with the removal of fat around my jowl and neck. This is a common problem found in my immediate family. What treatment(s) would work best for my situation? I am a VA resident, who would prefer to locate a board-certified clinic in my area.

Face/neck Lift Required for Jowls and Neck Fat

+3

Liposuction can be used to remove neck fat.

However, correction of Jowls requires a Face and Neck Lift. There are important nerves around the jowls and mouth that could be injured if Liposuction is attempted to correct Jowls.

Face and neck in Virginia

+2

Soudns like you need a facelift and neck work odone,. Youc an find a plastic surgeon in your area by goingto the ASPS or ASAPS websites.

Jowls & neck fat are best addressed by face/neck lift

+1

Jowls and neck fat are best addressed through a comprehensive face-neck lift. The jowls cannot be adequately removed with only liposuction. If the jowls are very mild, consideration can be given to a neck lift only, with the inferior-most portion of the jowls being removed at the time of the neck lift. A neck lift will not address excess skin; it will tighten the muscles in the front part of the neck and remove fat only in the neck. A comprehensive face/neck lift will address removal of fat in the neck, tightening the muscles both in front and behind the neck, and lifting the facial muscles and SMAS, along with tightening excess facial skin.

Jowls and Neck Fat

+1

If fat is truly the predominant problem in the neck and jowl area, liposuction may well be a good option for treatment. With the use of a liposuction cannula, I free up the skin of the entire neck and lower jawline jowl area prior to the liposuction. Leaving a cuff of fat on the undersurface of the skin, I judiciously and conservatively liposuction the excess fat taking care to avoid over-liposuction. I then have my patients wear a velcro elastic chin strap for several days and then as much as possible for the next couple of weeks. If there is only a small amount of pre-surgical skin laxity, the skin will tighten a small amount with this widely undermined procedure.

On the other hand, if there is substantial skin laxity as well as platysma muscle banding in the neck, a face/neck lift procedure, in combination with conservative liposuction, would yield better results than with liposuction alone.

Sigmund L. Sattenspiel, MD
Freehold Facial Plastic Surgeon

Male jowls and sagging neck

+1

The bearded skin of a male is quite different in its retractability after liposuction than a woman's. You may have less tightening of the sagging tissue with liposuction than a woman. You should see a plastic surgeon who could evaluate you for a neck lift and face lift for the jowls. Alternatives of surgical lifts or liposuction of the neck and jowls, are: botox along the jaw to help lift the jowl (off-label use), Thermage radiofrequency tightening of the neck, and Botox for neck muscle (platysma) bands if they exist. The latter treatments would not be expected to provide nearly as long lasting results as the surgical procedures, nor as great an improvement for most patients.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Jowls and Neck Surgery

+1

Well lucky for you I am in your area in Fairfax, Va. Without a picture it's a little difficult to say what you need. However, men have different issues and concerns then women. I try to make limited incisions in men. The best option is to make a small incision under the chin (which is not visible). From here liposuction of neck fat can be performed as well as tightening of the muscles. As we are the same age I doubt that you have excess skin that needs to be taken out with an incision around the ears.

So call my office at 703.752.6608 next week to set up a consultation and we'll discuss your neck and jowls.

Christopher L. Hess, MD
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

Neck Fat Needs Neclift if Older Than 30

+1

In younger individuals (under 30 years of ag) neck liposuction alone can fix the problem of extra neck fat and the skin being elastic snaps back up. However, in older individuals the skin will wrinkle up after fat has been removed. In order to prevent that problem a necklift is the solution. It is very similar to a facelift except that it only involves the lower half of the face and recovery, bruising and swelling is a lot less.

Regards

Tanveer Janjua, MD
Bedminster Facial Plastic Surgeon

Options for jowls and neck fat?

+1

With out photos or a detailed medical history going over ALL the options and combination of these options could be a chapter in the Clinic of Plastic Surgery. Needless to say you can have many types of liposuction, direct sub mental surgical fat removal, with or without Platysma plication, neck lifts, face & neck lifts, combinations of the prior lists. The examination allows the plastic surgeon to determine your skin elasticity and amounts of fat vs skin ratios. Best of Luck Regards and Merry Merry!

Jowls and neck fat in a young individual

+1

Jowls and neck fat in a young individual can often be addressed with a simple liposuction. Typically, if you are under the age of 45 and have good skin elasticity and tone and not a lot of skin excess, simple liposuction will allow contracture of the skin and improvement of the areas you seek. I hope this information helps.

Scott Trimas, MD
Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rejuvenating the jowls and neck in younger individual

+1

If you have a significant amount of fat in the neck, then liposuction will need to be a major component of your correction. If you have no real excess skin transversely, then the liposuction may be all that you need. However, if you do have excess skin and muscle, I use liposuction and a MACS Lift to elevate and resolve the skin and muscle problem. In someone your age this can be done with an incision only in front of the ear that hides in a natural crease and is barely perceptible.

A regular neck lift places a scar behind the ear that can, occasionally be quite problematic. The MACS Lift also elevates the cheek and removes any early jowl. It also puts the tissue back to where it came in the first place, not rotated backwards, behind the ear in an unnatural manner.

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon