Jowls Descending After Facelift?

Had a F/L 6 wks ago. My jowls started descending 10 days after my surgery. My neck is also getting folds. My incisions were around my ears, into the temple and under the chin. The Dr. is willing to re-do the surgery but I don't want to go thru the pain again. Could my jowls be tightened by doing the incision under the chin again? I am 60 y/o what do you think went wrong?

You need what we call a "double lift" approach

+2

Probably nothing went wrong.  Redoing only the neck usually will not help.

In our practice, we will sometimes tell patients that they will need a "double lift" approach.  Typically this is in patient s that have severe loss of skin elasticity, patients with wide heavy faces, and especially male patients with large faces and very heavy jowling.

The problem is that on the initial lift, no matter how tight you make the face and neck, it will st etch out withing six months after the initial lift.  The second lift is more effective because the tissues are lined with scar and will give out far less.  it typically does not require the extensive initial lift, but that depends on the tissues.

Dr. Mayl

Fort Lauderdale

Fort Lauderdale Plastic Surgeon

Redo jowls

+1

Jowls are not treated from the chin incision. They are usually treated from a more lateral approach and either resuspended or imbricated or even suctioned.

Early re-do facelift

+1

It sounds like you had a complete facelift though without pre and post photos I can't say for sure.  But there are some patients who need an early re-do.  These include those with poor skin elasticity usually stemming from bad sun damage, weight swings, or acne scarring.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Facelift through chin incision will not correct jowls, Botox and fillers may help-liquid facelift

+1

Correction of recurrent jowls and neck laxity will require a secondary facelift. The jowl must be pulled up from behind and the incision under the chin cannot accomplish this.

A non-surgical facelift or liquid facelift may provide some help if you do not want to go through surgery.

Small amounts of Botox can lesen the pull of the Detrussor Muscles on the chin which pull the corners of the mouth down and accentuate the jowl.

In addition, fillers like Restylane, Juvederm, Pearlane, and Radiesse can be injected to fill the depression below the jowl and camouflage the jowl.

This is often referred to as the Liquid Facelift when combined with filler injections that plump the cheek and lift the Nasal labial Fold.

Of coure the non surgical facelift only provides temporary -9 months to a year-improvement

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

Jowls after Facelift

+1

Not knowing what you looked like before your facelift and what was done during your surgery, it is difficult to answer your question. An incision under your chin will not improve the jowls. It may be necessary to have a mini-lift or tuck to improve your appearance. Nothing may have gone wrong. It sounds like your surgeon is willing to work with you, but I would wait at least another 3-4 months before any additional surgery.