What to Do About Remaining Jowls After Lower Facelift?

I have had a lower facelift and my jowls did not move. How can a lower facelift correct and not correct the jowls? Do I have to do more lifting into my face? If not, what else can I do to correct the remaining jowls?

Jowls after a facelift

+3

Mini lifts are notorious for leaving behind jowls. They just don't pull efficiently on the deep layer through the mini surgery dissection.

Neck Lifts alone seldom produce good results on the jowl, since the face has not been lifted above the jowls.

If either of these is the cause, the facelift should be redone with a proper facelift and necklift done by an excellent plastic surgeon.

If this was already done, there may be anatomic reasons why some patients have residual jowls including bone structure, thickness of fat around the facial artery bundle, chin configuration, fat loss around the mouth, etc. These are all addressable as well.

Web reference: http://drbrent.com/360facelift-procedure.php

Jowls after Facelift Surgery

+2

There are many types of facelifts. Lesser procedures may leave residual jowls. Discuss your pre-operative expectations with your surgeon. It sounds like you will need  revision surgery with a different technique to improve the jowls.

Remaining jowls after lower facelift may be due to mini facelift

+2

Without before and after photos to see exactly your issues, I can only guess you had a poor mini facelift. Was it a Life Style Lift?, or was the operation done by a NON boarded Plastic Surgeon? I recommend you go see 3 boarded plastic surgeons who do all types of face lift. You most likely need a revisional facelift surgery. Best of Luck and Merry Merry!

Revision lower facelift to correct remaining jowls

+1

As long as the neck is in good shape, a revision lower facelift can be performed to lift the jowls up above the jawline. This will take another surgical procedure to correct, lift the jowls along with the facial muscles to re-suspend the jowls up into the normal anatomical position.

Web reference: http://www.seattlefacial.com

Jowels after a facelift

+1

Hi,

Thank you for your question!

It is difficult to determine what is best for you without examining you. There are so many different versions of facelifts that vary from surgeon to surgeon. Your best option would be to find a plastic surgeon who specializes in this area. Most likely you will need another procedure or to redo the facelift all together. Do not be fooled by all of the brand name facelifts out there.

Best regards,

Dr. Speron

Facelift and Jowls

+1

The jowls result from the descent of the facial fat/tissue that was on or above the jaw. To correct jowls this tissue must be repositioned. This can be done by either plicating or suturing the lower cheek tissue up to where it used to belong or lifting this tissue and re-suspending it in its proper location.

For very mild jowling I perform a facelift (which of course includes the neck) with SMAS (the deeper facial tissue we've been talking about) placation. However, if it's anything but mild jowling I elevate the SMAS and reposition it. This is referred to as an extended SMAS facelfit. I think it is more powerful and removes the jowling that plications does not.

Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

Still with jowls after a lower facelift

+1

The lower face addresses the neck and jawline (includes the jowls). It sounds like you had a necklift only.

If the jowls were lifted by your surgeon and still there, most likely you will need another procedure to correct the residual sagging jowls.

It may also require lifting the cheeks or midface area to remove the jowls.

Naples Plastic Surgeon

Lower Facelift Result

+1

I am not sure what you exactly mean by a lower facelift. A facelift in general treats the lower face, meaning the neck and jowl area. You may just have had a neck lift which may not have corrected the jowl area. If your incision goes around the ear anteriorly, up to the sideburn area, then you had a formal face lift and should have had correction of the jowl area. If the incisions are limited to around the ear lobe and mainly posteriorly only then you essentially had a neck lift which does not correct the jowls appropriately.

Web reference: http://www.feplasticsurgery.com/orange-county-facelift-newport-beach.php

Facelift and Jowls

+1

I concur with my colleagues. I lower facelift should have significantly corrected/improved your jowls. There are *many* different face lift techniques. Even a skin only facelift should improve your jowls. Most plastic surgeons also treat a superficial muscle layer in your face called the "SMAS". I would recommend you visit with your surgeon to discuss your concerns.

Jowls after face lift

+1

A cheek lift portion of the face lift (cheek & neck = lower face lift) should take care of jowls.  If you still have them, you will need to most likely have a secondary cheek lift to correct them. You should discuss this with the doctor. Be sure it is a board certified plastic surgeon.