6 weeks post-op and I still feel my tip is stiff and hard, also it still looks like a clown. Is it swelling? (photos)

I had a small bump removed and my tip is pushed a little up and a small deviation is corrected in the tip...if it is all swelling , when shall i start to feel that my tip is more refined ? And also i feel.my swelling increases in the morning. Will this improve ?

Rhinoplasty results at 6 weeks after surgery

Thank you for your question!

It is understandable that you are concerned. Changes after rhinoplasties vary with every patient and what you are experiencing is normal especially that swelling takes time to subside as it masks the results of your surgery.

With the pictures posted, the lack of surgical details and the inability to perform a physical exam it is not possible to provide you with a definitive medical answer.

It is important to keep in mind that it is early to pass a judgment. Usually, a year is required before formulating how your nose will be. Even then, your nose will keep shaping itself and to complement your face for better results in the years to come.

My best recommendations at the moment is to be patient, allow nature to take its course and edema subsides for better results. There is no doubt that once the swelling resolves, more definition and shape will be achieved and you should be happier with the results.

Also, it is important that you keep communicating with your surgeon and work as a team together to achieve the best results possible.

Congratulations on your surgery and please remain positive!

Ali Sajjadian, MD FACS

6 weeks post-op and I still feel my tip is stiff and hard, also it still looks like a clown. Is it swelling?

Tip welling can take 6 to 9 months to resolve. Best you discuss this concept with your operative surgeon in person... 

6 wks post rhinoplaty

At 6 weeks post rhinoplasty, it is common to have a lot of swelling. Best to give it time to settle down. This may take several months.

Nasal tip swelling

Resolution of swelling is a gradual process.  The biggest changes are within the first couple of months but will change to some degree over the ensuing year.  A major factor that effects when you see the definition you are hoping for is the thickness of your nasal skin.  In the presence of thicker skin it commonly takes longer to get the desired refinement.  It is not uncommon for people at one month after surgery to feel their nose is still a little wider than they want.  When the nose is swollen the fluctuation that you note is very common.  When you lay down at night the swelling increases and then as you are up and about during the day it will go down.  As a quick fix you can put ice on the nose in the morning to help bring the swelling down.  If the swelling is taking longer than expected to resolve Kenalog (steroid) can be injected to accelerate the process.

Robert Glasgold, MD
East Brunswick Facial Plastic Surgeon