Tummy Tuck Issues After Gastric Bypass?

I had gastric bypass in '07, hysterectomy and tummy tuck in '09. One yr later still sick every. During upper GI 6 staples were removed from stomach pouch, felt much better & finally gained a few lbs back after losing down to 114! My stomach can still be tender, still some numbness, but located at my new belly button area I can feel & see thru my skin, a very sharp object, feels like a 16 gauge wire about 1/8" long??Scar tissue or bulging stiches?? Dr's were highly recommended w/licenses.

Feeling something tender poking out of my belly button?

+1

Part of the tummy tuck procedure is tightening up the abdominal muscles to achieve a Corset like improvement in contour.  A variety of different suture materials may be used for this. Some of the suture material may be permanent in nature and quite firm. This may feel much like a wire but is simply a suture that is protruding in an unintended direction. Regardless, the suture or at least the protruding portion should be removed under local anesthesia in your surgeon's office. Call him or her to have this examined and performed. Hope this helps.

Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon

Feeling sutures after tummy tuck

+1

Part of a tummy tuck is tightening the muscles by plicating the fascia ( the tough material made of collagen surrounding the muscle, and permanent sutures that do not dissolve are generally used.  There are techniques to make the sutures less palpable, but occasionally one can be felt, which is consistent with what you feel. I would consult with your plastic surgeon.  Usually it can be removed under local anesthesia in the office.  Enough time has elapsed that the suture is no longer necessary.

Thomas A. Mustoe, MD, FACS

Wire after tummy tuck?

+1

Part of the tummy tuck procedure is tightening up the abdominal muscles and a variety of different suture material may be used.  Some of the suture material may be permanent in nature (i.e. will not dissolve) and quite firm.  This may feel much like a wire but is simply a suture that is protruding in an unintended direction.  Regardless, the suture or at least the protruding portion should be able to be removed under local anesthesia in the office without difficulty.

Paul B. Mills, MD
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck Issues After Gastric Bypass?

+1

This could be a permanent suture, but what it actually is will not be solved over the internet. A visit to your surgeon will do that. If it is a suture, it can be removed rather easily in the office with the help of some local anesthetic. 

All the best.