How Much Surgery is Too Much at Once?

Is it okay to have a complete mommy make-over (lipo, tummy tuck, breast lift with small implants) and a Brazilian butt lift all at once? How much would something like this cost?

How much surgery is too much. Multiple procedures

+2

This is not a simple issue and multiple factors determine the relative safety of multiple procedures at once. I see no problem with all these providing you are in good health and the following criteria are met. 1.surgery should be performed in a hospital based operating room 2. A board certified anesthesiologist attends the case. 3. Surgeon is a board certified plastic surgeon with extensive experience in body contouring. 4. The surgeon has a great team and assistant and they are capable of completing he procedures in a 6 hour time span. 5.  There is an overnight stay in the hospital with nursing care. 6. You go home with prophylactic anti embolus medication. And compression stockings and are active. 

These are the standards we use for this type of procedure in my practice and we have foun them to work well. 

Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

Multiple procedures

+1

There are couple considerations for multiple procedures done at the same time.  Obviously, the safety should be our number one concern.  With several procedures, the operative time could be very long.  As operative time gets longer, complication rate (infection, bleeding) becomes higher.  In addition, your recovery will be tougher with so many surgeries all over your body.  Some patients may want multiple surgery in one session to avoid multiple recovery.  However, it will be best to limit surgery so that the operative time is less than 6-8 hours.

Sugene Kim, MD

Combination of Brazilian butt lift and tummy tuck is not a good one

+1

I don't see the logic in combining a tummy tuck with fat grafting to the buttock. The pressure on the buttock while one is lying supine in bed will likely impact the success of the fat grafting procedure. I keep my elective, cosmetic surgical procedure to 6 hours or less of operative time. Make sure your surgeon can do these complex procedures in a reasonable amount of time.

Scott C. Sattler, MD, FACS

Combined procedures

+1

Although multiple procedures can be safely performed in one setting, and it is common for board certified PS to perform combined breast and tummy procedures,  it may be excessive to add on a BBL to your breast and tummy procedures.  Remember, you should not be sitting on your buttocks for prolonged periods of time.  So if you are lying on your sides or sleeping on your belly, this will pose a potential problem for your breast and tummy healing.

Multiple procedures can be safely performed in one setting. But it depends on your health status (past medical history), your anatomy, and the amount of surgery/type of procedures to be done. Your surgeon may recommend an overnight stay depending on the overall length of your procedure(s).  Please confirm that your plastic surgeon is board certified plastic surgeon specifically by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and a member of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons.  Wishing you a speedy AND SAFE recovery.
Dr. Basu
Houston, TX

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

Length of Surgery is Partially Dependent Upon Your Health

+1

Most of my surgeries are actually combinations, including many mommy makeovers.  However, a Brazilian butt lift takes several hours to do and I would not recommend adding it onto a mommy makeover.  In your case I would recommend your breast and abdomen at one surgery and then the liposuction and Brazilian butt lift at another. All of this is dependent upon your health as well.

William H. Huffaker, MD
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Too much

+1

I like to try to keep the total time under anesthesia with a mommy makeover under the 6 hour limit, for safety reasons.  I don't think that I would be able to do a quality job on all of those 5 procedures you listed in that time limit, and would suggest that you break it up into two parts:  Tummy tuck and breasts, then lipo and fat transfer to buttock.

Thomas Fiala, MD

How Much Surgery is Too Much at Once?

+1

The number of surgery will depend on your general health condition, the hemoglobin level, from the physical texture of the patient, because is not the same one patient of 110 pounds and other with 170 lbs.
Obviously, as much surgical procedures aggression to your body and so therefore greater risk.

It is also important to know your needs and priorities, for example, if is important to you an aggressive liposuction it should not be performed with many other procedures.
I particularly like advise patients not to perform many procedures at the same time.

Walkiris Robles, MD

How much surgery is too much?

+1

This is a very difficult question to answer.  Generally, most surgeons like to limit the length of aesthetic procedures to between 6-8 hours in the interest of patient safety.  The longer the surgery, the higher the risk for complications such as infections, DVT (deep venous thrombosis), etc.  Other factors that may play a role include your health.  I would suggest that you consult with a board certified plastic surgeon and discuss whether this many procedures in one setting is safe.   Also, make sure that your surgery is performed in an accredited facility.  Good luck!

Anureet K. Bajaj, MD
Oklahoma City Plastic Surgeon

How Much Surgery is Too Much at Once?

+1

The key here is that you are healthy and that your surgeon can complete all of those procedures in expert fashion in under 6 hours.  I will say that the results of the Brazilian buttlift are highly surgeon dependent.  Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of breast lifts, breast augmentations, tummy tucks, Brazilian buttlifts and liposuction procedures each year.  Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Mommy Makeover

+1

How much surgery is too much surgery? This would depend on your medical health, comorbid conditions. Any combination elective surgery should not exceed 6 hours in a very healthy individual. You want so many procedures at the same time, yet have you thought of the risks, and the post operative recovery? How you will take care of yourself, how much and who would be available to help you while recovering for about one month? The patient undergoing all these procedures has to be in top medical condition with no comorbid medical conditions. Performed by a Board certified Plastic Surgeon ,and most probably in a  hospital with a certain period of time as an inpatient care, and that could be very expensive. Expenses are not as important as your safety.