I'm Concerned Arm is Infected After Removal of Stitches? (photo)

I had lipo of arms, stomach, back on 3/25. I didn't think stitches on right arm were done properly bc it was much looser/placed on edge. They were removed yesterday. Now all wounds are healed/scabbed except right arm- it's open, kinda deep, red, oozing, painful. Called doc and he said it would be fine; some surgeons don't even close incision sites. He's out of office til Monday and didn't ask to see pics. He sounded confident but I'm still concerned its infected or needs restitched. Opinions?

Poor healing after liposuction

+2

Thank you for your question about your healing after arm liposuction.

• The incision of concern appears infected in the photograph: swollen, red, surrounding skin looks inflamed with an inflamed lymphatic, 
  • Re stitching will not help,
  • You need warm soaks 4 x a day, possibly antibiotics and a culture,
  • Do not put cream or ointment on the wound,
  • I believe you should call your doctor back and discuss this.
  • Hope this helps. Best wishes.

Liposuction incision infected?

+1

From your photo, this looks pretty minor and will likely get better with some warm soaks.  That being said, if it is really, really tender and you are really, really worried, find out who is covering for your surgeon while he is out of town.  That doctor should be able to take a look at this and decide if you need antibiotics.

Lisa L. Sowder, MD

Most likely not infected

+1

Based on the limited history, the photo, no examination and the type of surgery you had I would say you don't have an infection.  Best to see your Plastic surgeon and follow his/her recommendation because if it is an infection then it is easy to treat.

Andre Aboolian, MD

I'm Concerned Arm is Infected After Removal of Stitches?

+1

I agree that the area does not look great and should have healed by now.  There may not be an infection, but this cannot be determined without a physical exam.  Statistically, infection after liposuction is very unusual, but it does happen.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Arm and liposuction incision

+1

It looks like you may have had some partial skin loss at the arm incision. A tape issue?  Te cannula?  Hrd to say without more info.