Belly Button Infection After Tummy Tuck? (photo)

It's been 3 weeks since my TT. I have noticed an increase in swelling in the past few days and noted discharge in my belly button Monday. It has since been crusted and discharge has been present. It has been much more sore and I feel like it is protruding more than previously. Is it infected? Should I go back to my PS sooner than the 11th (my next scheduled appointment)?

Swelling can make the navel look very strange for a few weeks after an abdominoplasty

+3

Swelling of the navel can cause it to look very strange for a while after an abdominoplasty. It might look a bit like a cauliflower until the swelling subsides.

Belly Button Infection after Tummy Tuck

+2

Call your surgeon as soon as possible.  I am sure he will want to see you prior to your scheduled appointment. 

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Question Tummy Tuck Belly Button Infection, See Your Surgeon

+1

Thank you for your question. It is important to be examined by the surgeon who performed her tummy Tuck and I would call the office and see him soon and not wait on your later appointment.

From your photographs I do see redness but do not see anything that would suggest an infection.

However discharge and the feelings that you described could be a sign of infection and it is important that you see your surgeon to make sure you are ok.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

Belly Button Infection After Tummy Tuck?

+1

This cannot be diagnosed from the photo alone. Call your surgeon, who after asking a few questions can decide if you should be seen early, or if care can be started based on the conversation. This is an appropriate reason to call. Best wishes.