Bio Alcamid Removal?

Hello, I was injected with Bio Alcamid about 9 years ago to the area of my cheekbone on one side. Recently a doctor (the best in my country for that matter) tried to remove it with a needle and he was digging in for 20 min and nothing came out. He thinks that its fibrosis because for his word, he has enormous experince with removing BA and he never saw anything like that. He said that there is not BA there (he was looking at CT), could it be possible?? how can I remove it if that is the case?

Bio alcamid

I have seen over 20 patient who have had infections with BA. You must freeze or numb the area in insert a 14 gauge needle. The the doctor has to push it out like toothpaste. You must be on an antibiotic.

David Ellis MD FRSCS

Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Art of Facial Surgery.com

Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Other Options to Determine what it is

As Dr Ellis mentioned, you need a large 12-14 gauge needle to remove it in the first place. it can be very stubborn. Often there are small pockets that are connected to each other so first of all, you need to get a good idea where these pockets are. CT scanning may not be the best option. MRI's or even Ultra-sounds will you you a really good idea the density of the liquid and it can help determine what it is. 

If it is NOT Bio Alcamid, then you need to find out what it is. The only real option is to do a biopsy or some sort of aspiration. 

Hopefully you get to the bottom of this, its a very frustrating problem for people. 

James Bonaparte, MD, MSc, FRCSC
Ontario Facial Plastic Surgeon

Bioalcamid removal from the face

It is not uncommon to have another type of filler.  If it is bioalcamid, there is a possibility that it can be removed with aspiration. Raffy Karamanoukian< Los Angeles

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS