Is it safe to receive a breast augmentation with a pre existing auto immune disease like Rheumatoid Arthritis?

Had to cancel my surgery one week before surgery date due to a sudden onset of R.A. I have just started a plan and medication to try to get my R.A. under control and in remission. When this happens will I be able to under go surgery safely without triggering a flair up of my R.A. Also are implants safe for women with Pre existing auto immune disease?

Recently diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis and considering breast augmentation

+1
If you had a sudden onset of Rheumatoid Arthritis then I would get medical clearance from your Rheumatologist prior to considering any elective surgery.  No link has ever been established between autoimmune disorders and breast implants but until you are stable I would not consider surgery.  

BA

+1

Although I wouldn't suggest for you to do it, you might want to talk to Rheumatologist to see if he gives you clearance.

Dr. Campos

Jaime Campos Leon, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon

Breast Enhancement Surgery

+1
Great question, either your disease will stay the same, get better or get worse, the companies actually suggest you dont do it but if you really wanted it and your rheumatologist said it was ok I would do it

Ryan Neinstein, MD, FRCSC

Breast Augmentation with Rheumatoid Arthritis

+1
Breast augmentation in patients with a history of autoimmune disease is a relative contraindication. There is a small possibility that breast implants could exacerbate your RA. Consult a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.

George C. Peck, Jr, MD
West Orange Plastic Surgeon

BBA

+1
What RA medication are you on? Without a thorough medical history, it's difficult to answer your question. You should focus on getting your RA under control. Once it is stable, get an in-person consultation to determine your surgical risk. 

Asif Pirani, MD, FRCS(C)

Breast augmentation in patient with RA

+1
Rheumatoid arthritis can be exacerbated by breast augment surgery, even if you are in remission prior to surgery.  Regardless of whether you plan to have cosmetic surgery, starting a treatment plan is certainly wise.  Depending on your level of stability, your rheumatologist will then be able to determine whether he or she would medically clear you for elective surgery.  Best wishes!

Robert L. Kraft, MD