Can a Breast Implant Fix the 15 Year Old Extrusion Scar I Have? What Can I Expect As my Result? (photo)

I had an implant rip through my right breast at 23. I am now looking into fixing my deformed chest. I know this does not happen often so I am having a difficult time finding pictures of any one with this issue then putting implants back in to try to fix the lack of tissue and scar. I can add pictures if you would like.

Just don't go too big

+2

The photo  you sent does show some breast and chest tissue and skin -- just be reasonable and don't try to go too big or you may have the same problem again.

Fat grafting works for improving tethered scars

+2

As some of the previous surgeons have replied, you will likely need a series of procedures to improve your tethered breast scar. A popular technique for improving the appearance of a tethered scar and to improve the quality of the overlying skin is to undermine the tissue under the scar, which releases it, and then inject your own liposuctioned fat into the undermined area.  This fat grafting can take several sessions to improve the contour and appearance of your scar. Ultimately, a breast augmentation can be performed once the scar has been corrected. Again, it is difficult to provide more specific details without a proper history and exam. A board certified plastic surgeon who performs breast reconstruction and fat grafting routinely should be able to assist you with your issue. Best wishes in achieving your goal.

Luis Zapiach, MD
Paramus Plastic Surgeon

Secondary breast augmentation

+2

I have had he opportunity to work with a few women such as yourself who have presented to me for secondary breast augmentation after an extrusion.  I would agree that it is usually possible to reaugment with good to excellent results but you have to be evaluated in person.  I would need to perform a physical examination to determine how thick or thin the tissues are at the previous extrusion sight.  Sometimes a scar revision is necessary, sometimes not.  The important thing is it has been enough time since your extrusion that the scar tissue has matured and you can proceed at any time. That scar maturation usually takes anywhere from 4-12 months. Best of luck. 

Melinda Haws, MD

Implant Extrusion and Correction

+2

It is difficult to comment specifically without pictures at a minimum. Of course, the only way to make a definitive recommendation is with an in person consultation. That being said- it is likely that an implant and/or a revision of your scar would make a significant improvement for you. 

David Cangello, MD

Can a Breast Implant Fix the 15 Year Old Extrusion Scar I Have? What Can I Expect As my Result?

+2

Dear Freetobeme,

Thank you for your question.  For a specific answer, photos would help.  However, in general, yes, a good result is obtainable even in some extreme cases.  The following web link is an example that may help you.

Best Wishes,

Pablo Prichard, MD

Pablo Prichard, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Reconstruction of a depressed scar of the breast

+2

If you have a depressed scar of the breast due to the implant extrusion I would imagine that a scar revision would help.  At the same time you could consider a re-augmentation.

Chest scars can be fixed!

+2

A breast implant extrusion (albeit it a rare complication) can leave a bad scar behind, as you have unfrotunately discovered.  It is possible, however, to improve the cosmetic result with either a scar revision, or a combination of scar revision with implant placement/exchange.  It will be difficult for you to find pictues of this complication and corrective surgery online, mostly do to it's uncommon nature.  I would suggest finding a plastic surgeon who has significant breast surgery experience and going in for a consultation.  The only way for you to really get the answers you are looking for is by a face to face meeting and examination.  Even posting pictures online and asking for advice will not give you an in-depth analysis and level of comfort.  Good luck! 

Elan B. Singer, MD

Possible to have implants again

+1
You can certainly have implants again, but it is important to see an experienced board certified plastic surgeon to make sure the most suitable implant and technique is selected. Best of luck.

Jerome Edelstein, MD

Re-augmentation of breast after extrusion of an implant

+1

Thank you for your question and photo.  In brief, yes, this is a problem that can be fixed.  As you will find out, there will be many different ways to approach this problem.  There is no absolute "best" procedure to fix your problem.  A surgeon will need to perform an examination to determine the quality of the tissue, how tethered the scar is to the deeper tissues and the laxity of the skin envelope.  Additional scar releases will likely be needed within the breast tissue itself, but the bottom line is that you are a candidate for replacement of your implants and you generally should be able to obtain a good result.  Seek out a board certified plastic surgeon who you feel comfortable with and I'm sure they will take good care of you. 

Best of luck.

Brian C. Reuben, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

Extrusion scar and wanting reaugmentation

+1

You should be able to do this but anticipate some kind of scar revision and even better, if you've developed some droopiness, how the tissue could potentially be incorporated into adding thickness to your inferior pole.  You want a creative solution to your problem and a face to face exam would allow your surgeon the best opportunity to come up with a solution.

Curtis Wong, MD