Why is It So Difficult to Get my Bite Right?

On right side, I am having a 3 crown bridge and 2 side crowns replaced, yet after 6 fittings, my bite is not right. The back teeth hit in wrong place and side teeth do not connect, despite articulater paper and wax impressions. Last visit I could see the crowns had been glazed. Can they still be altered now and added to? How many times can a zirconia/ porcelain crown go back in the oven without weakening? This is the second bridge...the first one cracked in 3 places because the bite was off.

Difficult Getting Bite Correct

+2

Experience and Laboratory Quality. That's what it's all about. A dentist that's very knowledgable about occlusion, that uses a high quality laboratory, should not be having so much difficulty. If you got a "great deal" on these bridges and crowns, or if it is being done for "insurance coverage" only, then you can expect difficulty getting the bite correct.

New York Cosmetic Dentist

Getting bite right

+1

Sorry to hear you're going thru this process.  Sounds like you and your dentist may be pretty frustrated by now after six fittings.  

Normally, I recommend you work with your dentist to get it right.  But, in this case, you may wish to find another dentist with a solid understanding of occlusion principles (dentists who have attended advanced institutions such as Pankey Institute, Spears Institute, or the Dawson Academy are usually an excellent choice.)  

Portland Cosmetic Dentist

Difficulties with the bite

+1

I would need to acutally see you to evaluate your bite. There are too many variables with your case to be able to answer you questions.

Dr. T

Miami Beach Cosmetic Dentist

My bite is off?

+1

In most cases it will be caused by starting treatment without having your TMJ in the correct position you may want to consider neuromucular dentistry, if the TMJ is off then when crowns bridges or filling are placed they will be off also good luck

Kevin Coughlin DMD, MBA, MAGD     CEO Baystate Dental PC

Springfield Cosmetic Dentist

Bad bite

+1

I am assuming the restorations in question have not yet been permanently cemented.  If that is the case, and your bite feels normal without these restorations, they should be adjusted until the bite is right and then reglazed. If they have been cemented already, the bite should be adjusted and polished to a glossy finish in your mouth.  If all else fails, have them redone

Norwalk Cosmetic Dentist

Bite off on new bridge

+1

When teeth are prepared for a bridge the original bite no longer exists, especially if the last teeth on the side are prepped.  This can be avoided by never the patient close completely  after the teeth are prepped.  Closing with no posterior support can cause a change in the TM Joint and the position of the disc in the joint.

It is also possible that there were bite problems on both sides that cancelled each other out.  When one side is corrected the other side which was always wrong no longer has counter balance.

Neuromuscular Dentistry will allow you to measure objectively how the joints, muscles and teeth work in your mouth.  You may want to conside wearing an orthotic to stabilize the bite before proceding.

Lake Forest Cosmetic Dentist