Will Jaw Surgery Provide Symmetry to my Profile or is a Chin Implant Necessary? (photo)

One side of my jaw visibly pops out at the joint & I have a crooked smile after braces. I have other symptoms: trouble speaking sometimes, limited use of my jaw and possibly sleep apnea. I'm going to visit an oral & facial surgeon about this issue, but I'd like to know if corrective jaw surgery will help protrude my chin more or if a chin implant will be the better aesthetic option.

JAW SURGERY FOR ASYMMETRY

Orthognathic surgery is used to realign the jaw to improve function as well as improve the disproportion or asymmetry of the lower face.  Moving the jaw forward with a sliding genioplasty or augmenting the chin with implants should improve your profile.  However, without a physical examination I cannot offer an opinion as to which procedure will give you the best possible outcome.  I recommend researching your surgeon’s credentials to confirm that he or she is board certified in oral maxillofacial surgery.  Using a board certified oral maxillofacial surgeon will help to minimize your risk of complications and help ensure an optimum result.

Be well and good luck!

@norrisplastic