Weak Chin - Jaw Surgery Vs. Chin Implant?

Hi, I have suffered from TMJ pain for about 4 years. I have tried various methods (night guard, soft foods, massage, etc) with no success. I have made an appointment with a mouth doctor. I have a weak/small chin, but not a terrible underbite (jaw wise). I have been considering a Chin implant ever since I discovered it's possible. For TMJ, I understand open jaw surgery is last resort but also that it restructures the jaw and might give me a better chin? Is it wrong to think of open jaw surgery as killing 2 birds with one stone?

If occlusion of your teeth, your bite, is right then a Chin implant will give you a outstanding result

+2

Silastic silicone chin implants in the proper patient placed under the on the bone of the jaw give wonderful long lasting results. Make sure your plastic surgeon evaluates you bite and certifies that it is right before going ahead with the chin implant. If you have a bad bite you might be able to have them both corrected at the same time. An extended chin implant in your case will give you a lovely result that will bring a nice balance to your face. I feel sliding genioplasty will work but is much more involved with more likely undesirable side effects.

Orthnognathic surgery for tmj and chin augmentation

+1

This would be a good option. you would be getting both of these things done at the same time given that moving your jaw forward is the answer.

Philip Young, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Chin implant or mandibular osteotomies will improve weak chin

+1
A small to medium-sized chin implant placed through a submental incision would give a stronger chin profile. Mandibular osteotomies or open jaw surgery could also strengthen your chin. However, neither of these two procedures will address nor improve your TMJ issues.
Chin implants are inserted throughout sub mental approach as an outpatient surgical procedure under local anesthesia.
Mandibular osteotomy is performed under general anesthesia and usually requires a 24-48 hour stay in the hospital. If the teeth are out of alignment significantly, this may be the best route to proceed with.
For many examples of chin implants, please see the link below to our chin implant photo  gallery

Chin Implant Surgery may improve the appearance of your weak chin.

+1

You seem to be an ideal candidate for Chin Implant Surgery. You would have improvement in the appearance of your chin and jawline. This would also have the added benefit of making your nose look smaller. Chin Implant surgery is relatively inexpensive, and takes less than 30 minutes. Downtime is about a week, and your results are permanent.

I'm not a big fan of sliding genioplasty surgery (surgically advancing your chin-bone forward).

I've attached a link to my Chin Implant photos for your perusal.

I hope this is helpful for you.

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Chin Implant

+1

If your bite is not contributing to the TMJ pain. Then it is a chin implant and then deal with the TMJ. TMJ surgery will not affect the chin, surgery on the mandible may  improve the profile some.

Chin augmentation

+1

You could have some chin enhancement and usually a chin implant is used.  Occasionally a sliding genioplasty is done but fewer surgeons do these.  I'd look at it as a separate issue from your TMJ.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

TMJ surgery and chin and neck contours

+1

In many instances jaw surgery can accomplish both goals. However, traditionally these are different surgical proceduress. TMj surgery typically does not improve chin projection whereas a SSO for malocclusion or sliding genioplasty can definitively achieve chin enlargement. The use of submental liposuction can enhance the result as well.

Jaw surgery vs. chin implant

+1

In looking at your photo, you appeared to be an ideal candidate for a nice chin implant. The procedure is very easy to perform in skilled hands. You should achieve an excellent aesthetic facial balance that would enhance your already beautiful face.

Unless you have a severe malocclusion problem necessitating major reconstructive or orthognathic surgery, I would strongly advise you to go with the chin implant. Except in cases of severe malocclusion, the TMJ entity is another matter unrelated to the cosmetic aspects of your chin. I would advise you to address the TMJ as a separate entity.

Sigmund L. Sattenspiel, MD
Freehold Facial Plastic Surgeon

Jaw surgery vs implant for chin improvement

+1

While I perform both bony surgery to improve the chin, as well as implants, I generally favor implant surgery. A chin implant is a short, out-patient surgical procedure with few complications. Cutting the chin bone itself is a much bigger operation which I would hesitate to recommend, unless there was no alternative.

As a plastic surgeon with both a medical and dental degree, I have performed many operations on the jaws to move the bones, including the jaws and chin, but surgery on your jaw may not improve your TMJ problems and you should consider that fact in your decision. My gut reaction in looking at your photo would be to opt for a chin implant. If you did a chin implant, you are not burning any bridges, and could still do jaw/chin surgery at a later date.

To simulate what it might look like, I frequently inject sterile water into the patient's chin and you can immediately look at it in the mirror.

Darrick E. Antell, MD