Jaw Slimming with Botox After a Cheek Filler?

A little under a week ago I had radiesse to fill hollow cheek bones. I am not thrilled about the results because it has made my face look broad and chubby. Would it be a good idea to have a Botox treatment for my jawline right after the radiesse filler in my cheeks? Or would it be best to wait for it to settle a couple months? I usually receive Botox to reduce my masseter muscles and like the results, but would like to know if it is not a good idea after a mid face filler. Thank you

Radiesse cheek filling and botox masseter thinning

+1

You should not immediately have a secondary treatment if you are unhappy with the Radiesse filling. There may be significant changes in the next few weeks after which you can reevaluate your condition.  As Radiesse is injected in the fat but not injected in the muscle, and the Botox is injected in the muscle for masseter hypertrophy, there shouldn't be a reason that you would have to avoid having both done should you desire such treatment.

Should I Slim The Jaw After Radiesse?

+1

Hi OnceBeautiful.  It's hard without a picture to make a suggestion, but one suggestion seems to be consistent among all the panelists.  You should wait a little longer to make a decision.  The question about whether it is suggested to use Botox for the masseter muscle after Radiesse is going to be subjective and should be decided in consultation with your injector.  

If you liked the effects Botox had on the masseter muscle with the previous treatment, then you might move ahead with it again, irrespective of the Radiesse.  Again a picture would help.

Harold J. Kaplan, MD

Jaw slimming with botox after a filler

+1

It is possible that some of the fullness may still subsideon its own in a few more days.

Injecting 1-2 cc of Saline repeatedly (Once a week a few times) in the area that appears too full may remove tiny amounts of Radiesse if you dislike the results enough.

Otherwise, in 3-4 months the amount of Radiesse that remains, may suit your taste; and in 8-10 months it will be completely gone.

No problem with injecting Botox in the masseters meanwhile.

Eugene Mandrea, MD
Chicago Dermatologist

Radiesse and Botox for cheeks.

+1

You need to wait around a month to see the final Radiesse result.  Botox can then be used to sculpt the masseter as needed.  Sorry you have to go through this.  

David Alessi, MD

Jaw Slimming with Botox

+1

I think that the answer depends on whether you are a teeth grinder or not. If you tend ot get headaches and have dental problems in the back of your mouth, I would probably get Botox or Dysport injected into the muscle that clenches your teeth (the masseter). Although not approved for this indication, I have had several people who have had this done and it sculpts the face nicely and helps with the jaw pain that clenchers usually have.

After a week, Radiesse is not going to settle much more unless there was a lot of bruising during the injection so you are likely looking at what the treatment will mostly look like. If it isnt what you want, try a little Botox or Dysport to sculpt your jawline and then if you like that, you can do more if the first treatment is not enough

Kenneth Beer, MD
Palm Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Radiesse and botox

+1

I'm sorry you are unhappy with your Radiesse. If Botox was not part ot the original plan then I would wait a little. It's likely some of the effect will diminish within 3-4 weeks of injection time. Fortunately Radiess is not a permanent filler so you have not burned any bridges. You'll just need to be patient for the nine months or so for it to resorb.

Michael L. Schwartz, MD
West Palm Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

+1

Either way, it's up to uou.  You could certainly could have had the Botox at the same time as the Radiesse or can have it anytime thereafter.  

You know the answer to this.

+1

Let your treatment settle for a few weeks before embarking on additional treatment.  Otherwise you will be left chasing your tail.

I personally do not like fillers that can't be easily adjusted.  One of biggest advantages of the hyaluronic acid fillers like Restylane, Perlane, and Juvederm is that they can be readily adjusted after the service.  Radiesse is not in this group.  However, one week is not that much time and it is possible that some of what you don't like is just associated with post-treatment swelling.  Giving this service time to settle will allow any swelling to settle down.  

Should you get masseter muscle botox to address this problem?  Only a personal consultation will answer this question.  Please be aware that these services are not fungible commodities.  They really require medical knowledge, skill, and no small measure of artistry to place.

Combining fillers in the cheek and Botox

+1

You can have some swelling the first week after Radiesse and there may have been some extra fluid (lidocaine) mixed with the Radiesse that will cause a fuller appearance shortly after treatment.  I usually recommend waiting at least 2-3 weeks before deciding if a touch-up or additional procedure is needed for proper correction.  If you liked the effect of Botox in the masseter muscles before, there is no reason that you can't do that right after having Radiesse in the cheeks. 

Nancy Samolitis, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox after Radiesse

+1

Please let the Radiesse settle in before you do anything else at this time.  Give it at least one month.  If you still feel that you need Botox in your Masseter muscles, then you can do it at that time.  Radiesse combined with your Masseter muscles left untreated might give you the appearance of a fuller, more rounded, more youthful face!

Sheri G. Feldman, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologist