How many units of botox do I need to reduce my jawline? (photo)

I really donot want any facial deformity with high dose or no results at all with fewer units. Please tell me wat to ask the doctor on my consultation

It's Dependent on Muscle Size

+2

It takes a lot as compared to brow treatment. 15 to 20 units per side. Too much can interfere with chewing.

Walnut Creek Dermatologic Surgeon

How many units of botox do I need to reduce my jawline?

+2

As my colleagues have noted, jawline slimming doses of Botox cover a wide range. The best way to estimate is to actually feel the "bulk" of the muscle that is being reduced. Until you have an in-person consultation it is difficult to estimate exactly how many units will be required. I hope this information is helpful.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Weber Facial Plastic Surgery

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox to improve jawline

+2

Dear Jia,

In female patients, I will generally start with 12 units on each side, but I have injected as much as 48 units total in some male patients.  Take care, Dr. Groff

William Groff, DO
San Diego Dermatologist

Botox to jawline

+2

I usually inject 25 units, split between each side. But some people do require up to 50 units depending on how big the masseter muscle is (men require more units in most cases.) You have a small face and really not much correction is needed with your jawline, so I would think 25 units overall would be enough for you. It's best to start with less and add more units if needed.

F. Victor Rueckl, MD

Jaw line reduction with Botox

+2

The amount needed varies from patient to patient.  A good starting point is 15 units to each masseter (the jaw muscle) and then assess the improvement.  Often more is needed, but in many patients this will suffice.  Using less is usually not effective.  Ask the surgeon where he is going to inject.  Best wishes.

David Alessi, MD

Botox for jawline definition

+2

Botox, or any of the neurotoxins, can be used to reduce the size of the masseter muscle, which gives fullness to the jawline near the ears.  For someone your size I would start with 15-20 units.  It takes around 4-6 weeks for the muslces to reduce in size, and treatment often has to be done a few times a year to keep the muscles smaller.  Additional treatments can occur sooner to further reduce the size of this muscle. Avoid gum chewing and grinding your teeth. Wearing a night guard can also keep these muscles from getting larger sooner.  Find someone who is experienced at injecting this area, as it is an off- label use for these neurotoxins.

Lee P. Laris, DO
Phoenix Dermatologist

Botox and masseter reduction

+1

It's very difficult to answer your question - depending on how much of a reduction you are expecting, that will determine the number of units and treatment to discuss with your provider.

Sam Naficy, MD

Botox for masseter reduction

+1

For Botox, 25 units on each side (for a total of 50 units) is a good starting dose.  Most patients will have nice relaxation of their muscles.  When administered properly, this dosage will not cause any "facial deformity".  Especially for a first time treatment, a percentage of patients will need additional units to achieve full relaxation and maximal jaw tapering.  

Donald B. Yoo, MD