Jaw Reduction - Jaw Much Larger Than Before Surgery at 6 Months? (photo)

I did a jaw angle reduction. It was done by a board-certified facial plastics doctor (with ENT background). I am very upset by the result. I have waited for 6 months but the swelling or whatever it is it has not resolved. What are the possible reasons? 1) Could he have failed to reattach the muscle to the periosteum? Or was the muscle reattached in a more anterior, lateral position? 2) Could he have damaged all or most of lymph nodes? 3) Would Botox , ulthera or revision surgery help?

Jaw Reduction Surgery

+1

I'm not quite sure what you mean by a jaw angle reduction procedure.  Did yo feel that your jaw was too wide?  It been my experience as a maxillofacial surgeon who peforms lots of facial bony and soft tissue surgery that reducing the angle of the mandible is difficult and doesn't necessarily give you what you desire. Reducing the muscle mass with serial botox injections would significantly reduce the facial width from angle to angle of the mandible. You may want to discuss this with your surgeon. Good luck.

Middletown Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon

Jaw reduction results after 6 months

+1

I can understand your concerns regarding your jaw reduction surgery.  Typically, after 6 months the surgical result should be apparent and any postoperative swelling should be resolved.  It may be the surgical technique used by the surgeon.  Posting your photos may be helpful in figuring out your unsatifactory result.  You could also seek a second opinion from a surgeon who's familiar with bony surgery, like a maxillofacial surgeon who specializes in cosmetic jaw surgery.  Botox or revision surgery may be an option.

C. Carson Huynh, MD, DMD
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon