How do jaw implants stay in place?

I want to get jaw implants, but i am afraid they will move around. How are they secured in? How do they no move? Can you rest your jaws on the palm of your hands? I often do.

Jaw implant fixation

+1

We recommended jaw implants be screwed in with a single screw in the mandible bone on each side.

Jaw implants do not usually need to be screwed in

+1

Most jaw implants and placed in a pocket just a little bit larger than the implant itself. The small amount of tension from your own tissue is typically enough to keep the implant fixed in place. Once you've healed the position of the implant is stable. I try to avoid fixating implants as that is not necessary and screws and other hardware just create additional risk.

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Jaw implants

+1

They are placed in a pocket over the jaw bone under a tough layer called the periosteum. When this layer heals, it secures the implants in place within a few weeks. Yes you can rest your jaws anywhere after a few weeks.

Peter T. Truong, MD
Fresno Oculoplastic Surgeon