Jaw/Chin Surgery: Am I a Candidate? (Photos)

Hi Im 17yo guy and Im pretty sure that I need to get a surgery about my chin.I started to using dental braces 1w before because of deep bite.My doctor told me Its too late but we can try to fix my jaw to normal position w/braces.I asked him about surgery,he ignored.He said It has so much risks for my ''petty'' problem(3mm). If they cut the capillary in my jaw accidently I couldnt feel my jaw ever he said.So Im gonna be 18 in 7m.Can you share your thoughts about the surgery? And how much it costs?

Surgery the best option

+2
It is unfortunate that you were given the advice that you were provided.  Without question, the best option for you would be "pre-surgical" orthodontics (not purely corrective orthodontics), done in conjunction with an orthognathic surgeon.   You are young and the process is definitely costly, but I would consider this option.  You should probably start with another orthodontic and/orthognathic surgery opinion.  Good luck to you.

Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

Jaw surgery

+2
Unfortunately, the orthodontist is incorrect and it is common for some of them to 'try to help out' by using 'orthodontics only. They do not have the same regard for the facial balance in some cases and the long term effects cosmetically. (eg looks less ideal as you get older due to soft tissue changes like double chin etc).

I would recommend you see an Oral/Maxillofacial surgeon and have him direct the orthodontist now, before your lower teeth are tilted too far forward, which is hard to reverse.
The lower jaw surgery can be properly explained to you; rather than 'scare you' as you have noted

Gerald Wittenberg, MSc, DMD
Vancouver Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon