Jaw Botox and Chin Implant

Is it true that before doing chin implant, patient should go for jaw botox first so that the chin implant can fit nicely on the face without appearing too big? By reversing these 2 steps, it might complicate and change the harmony of your face proportion? Thank you.

Botox and chin implants

+1

There are some patients who undergo a chin implant and still have skin that covers the chin that looks like cellulite when they speak or eat and the muscle moves. The skin is tethered down to the muscle and this can be relaxed wtih very tiny doses of Botox.  The Botox can be done before or after the chin implant but shouldn't interfere with the surgeon's ability to do the procedure well. Regardless, you should discuss this with the surgeon who will be doing your procedure.

Does Botox Relate to chin Implants

+1

I would not do Botox prior to deciding on a chin implant unless you planned on continuing the Botox regularly for the rest of your life.  Remember, the chin implant will be there every day for the rest of your life, if you don't plan on having the Botox there as well, then any decisions on facial balance should be made without the Botox.

In addition, I could not disagree more with the physician who suggested orthognathic surgery as a superior choice to a chin implant.  This is absolutely false.  Orthognathic surgery is a functional surgery to correct problems with your ability to properly chew.  There are certainly cosmetic implications to moving your jaws around, but if cosmesis is your only concern and a chin implant is capable of correcting your particular issue, this is vastly superior to orhthognathic surgery.  Orthognathic surgery is very extensive, very expensive, has a high rate of complication which can be quite severe, and is terribly challenging to correct if there are any problems.  Chin implants rarely have complications and they virtually always can be corrected by simply removing the implant during a ten minute procedure under local anesthesia.  Furthermore, chin implants come in a vast array of sizes and shapes to create whatever look you want.  Orthognathic surgery has very limited choices in this sense.

Louis W. Apostolakis, MD
Austin Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox is not required before Chin Implant surgery.

+1

I have perfomed many Chin Implant surgeries and IMHO, there's no need at all for Botox Injections before, during or after the Chin Augmentation with an implant.  The surgery is performed and implant placed below the muscle and covering of the bone.  Save your money.

Chin implants

+1

Chin implants are the worst in my opinion. They are easy to perform, and can be very effective, but they can extrude, and they may not be the answer for you.

There are cases where its the jaw itself is the problem, and not the chin at all. In this case, you need somone specialized in orthognathic surgery. I know this because I trained with one of the very best in the country, John Polley at Rush.

He was my chairman, and trained me, and I think he is probably the best facial surgeon I have ever seen. 

Srdjan Ostric, MD

Botox almost never needed with chin implant.

+1

Hi.

Many people benefit by getting an extended chin implant, which improves the jaw line and the neck line.

Very very few people need Botox to make their jaw look less wide.

The two procedures have nothing to do with each other.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)