On Jan.3 I Had Bilateral Implants with Alloderm. I'm Experiencing a Very Uncomfotable Stiffness Across my Ribs

Spans from one side to the the other as if I have a very tight under wire bra sewn into my chest. Will this go away? Is this the result of alloderm? My PS wants to see me in two months, but I cannot make it that long with this discomfort. Suggestions or information please?

Alloderm issues

+2

Alloderm is a standard product used in breast reconstruction with tissue expanders or immediate breast implants. If immediate implants were used, there may be more initial swelling of the skin and soft tissue of the breast because there is less "potential space" compared to the placement of a decompressed tissue expander. The Alloderm is usually sewn along the fold under the breast internally, and then to the pectoralis major (chest) muscle. When your muscle moves, it may pull against the Alloderm, in turn pulling against the fold, which may cause pain. In addition, the Alloderm can induce an inflammatory response which may contribute to discomfort. It would be a good idea to check with your plastci surgeon to make sure things appear to be healing as they should. Many such symptoms gradually dissipate in time, but it can take months. Check with your surgeon to be sure you are progressing normally. Often, these symptoms can be reduced with medication, physical therapy, or other modalities.

Palm Beach Plastic Surgeon

Tightness across chest with Alloderm breast reconstruction

+2

I would call to schedule an earlier appointment. The tightness may be due to the inflexibility of the Alloderm. This will likely resolve as the material becomes incorporated but it may take closer to 9 months.

Chest wall pain afterAlloderm

+2

Because the material needs to be secured along the lower pole of the breasts with stitches near the ribs, there is pain and tightness from that.  This is necessary and normal and will resolve on it's own over time.  See your doctor sooner though for reassurance and to be sure all is okay.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Alloderm and Breast Revision

+2

I Had Bilateral Implants with Alloderm. I'm Experiencing a Very Uncomfotable Stiffness Across my Ribs

I would be nice to know what the reason was for the alloderm, but most likely it was placed along the inferior pole and suture to the tissue over the ribs.  This is likely the reason why you are having the discomfort.

Hope that helps.

Farbod Esmailian, MD

Alloderm and chest discomfort

+2
I agree with Dr Wallach. When alloderm is used it is secured to the chest wall and that is the most likely cause of your discomfort. Sincerely, Martin Jugenburg, MD

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Tightness across rib cage with alloderm

+2

More  than likely, the alloderm that was secured across your chest is the discomfort that you are feeling. If you want to be sure, I would talk with your doctor or see him for evalutation.