Should I loose some weight before a full tummy tuck with lipo and MR? (Photos)

hi im 6'3 and I weight 261 my goal weight is between 220-230 . should I loose some weight before a full tummy tuck with lipo and mr. if so how much would u recommend.

Should I lose some weight before a full tummy tuck?

+1
I recommend to my patients that the optimal result with body contouring surgery (tummy tuck, liposuction, et cetera) will be achieved if they are within approximately 5-10 pounds of their goal weight for a minimum of 6 months prior to surgery.

Patients that decide to have surgery prior to achieving this level of weight loss will possibly require additional surgeries to remove excess skin that develops after additional weight has been loss. The likelihood of needing additional surgery is greater for patients who lose greater amounts of weight after surgery.

If your goal weight is 220-230 pounds I would recommend that you should weigh in the 220-240 pound range for 6 months prior to surgery.

Sugar Land Plastic Surgeon

Weight Loss Prior to Surgery

+1
Thank you for your question and submitting your photos. While it would be possible to have these procedures done at your current weight, it would be advisable to get as close as possible to your ideal weight first and maintain that weight for some time. This will give you a much more satisfactory result. You may want to consult with a Registered Dietician to help you achieve your goal. Best of luck to you.

Mark Deutsch, MD

Should I loose weight before surgery?

+1
Thank you for this very common and well thought out question. The most important thing you can do to improve your surgical result would be to lose all the weight you are planning to lose, or the majority of it, before you go for a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon. In your case, like many other patients I see, I believe you will not see the results you want with liposuction alone. This would leave you with too much excess and droopy skin. You are a good candidate, however, for a tummy tuck with the addition of liposuction at the time of surgery to further refine the results. I would recommend you consult with several plastic surgeons who perform this procedure regularly before making your final decision. Good luck!

Erez Sternberg, MD
Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon

Be close to ideal weight before tummy tuck and lipo

+1
Thank you for your question and photos.

You will get a much better tummy tuck result if you reach your weight goal before having tummy tuck surgery.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

Best weight for tummy tuck

+1
I would always encourage any patient seeking body contouring to get to their optimum physical condition and weight. The most important reasons are: until you have disciplined yourself to lose weight and your dietary habits haven't changed, the benefits of body contouring may be short lived and secondly you will be able to tolerate the surgery better. Weight loss sounds easier to say than to accomplish. Best wishes

Craig Harrison, MD, PA
Tyler Plastic Surgeon

Weight loss

+1
It depends. According to your height and weight, your BMI is 32.6 which is in line with other patients who under go abdominoplasty. Loosing 30 lbs would drop your BMI to 28.4. 
At either point it is safe to proceed with surgery. Sometimes it is easier to lose weight after surgery rather than before as the recovery is behind you.

Timothy Fee, MD
Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon

Safety

+1
You have to know that our priority as care givers is our patient safety.
I will definitely encourage you to lose weight prior surgery and hopefully you may reach 200-220lbs.
This is genuinely the wish of having a great result but as important a complication free procedure.
You will be looking amazing after having an Extended Tummy Tuck, muscle repair and so liposuction to your upper and lower back.
Have a great journey.
Dr. Cardenas 

Laura Carmina Cardenas, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon